Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2017, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, 1/500 can be fine for the serves and team gatherings if the timing's right on the shutter, but is much too slow for general play.
I am hoping that the higher ASO capability of the K-P, as well as the better AF capability of the camera, might allow me to go to 1/750 or even 1/1000 at ISO 3200.

That will be an ambitious assumption but if it works, the arrangement might well cover a multitude of sins on my part.

With this last weekends pictures, I went manual 1/500, 2.8, 1600 ISO and they were underexposed. I used the simple editing software of Microsoft office to bring them to correct.

12-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TXPentaxK50 Quote
I am hoping that the higher ASO capability of the K-P, as well as the better AF capability of the camera, might allow me to go to 1/750 or even 1/1000 at ISO 3200.

That might be ambitious but if it works, the arrangement might well cover a multitude of sins on my part.

With this last weekends pictures, I went manual 1/500, 2.8, 1600 ISO and they were underexposed. I used the simple editing software of Microsoft office to bring them to correct.
You can check the IR test image of the KP at 3200 ISO. You might need some noise reduction software.
Digital Cameras, Pentax KP Digital Camera Test Image
12-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TXPentaxK50 Quote

That will be an ambitious assumption but if it works, the arrangement might well cover a multitude of sins on my part.

Still a bit underexposed, TX, IMHO, sometimes with grey rather than white in the uniforms, and there's a yellow colour cast in a lot of them.

That last one's not as easy to get rid of as you might think ... you change the WB in software, but the high ISO means that a lot of the real original colours were lost that noise reduction can't get back, so it still never looks right when you put blue back into the picture to correct.
12-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-30 at F/2.8 ISO 4000 and 1/320 of a sec. You can't have your cake and eat it too so your just looking for the best compromise. There just isn't enough lighting to keep a low ISO and fast enough shutter speed for sports. I set my exposure to manual since the lighting in the gym never changes and i've found that 1/320 of a second seems about right for shutter speed as you can see. The slight blur in the arm and ball doesn't bother me, as a matter of fact i think it adds something to the photo. I also found that i improved as i went to more games and i got better at anticipating where the ball might be heading. My advice would be to keep trying with the setup you have and learn to get the most out of it before just running out and buying another camera, you would probably see a small boost in autofocus speed with an upgrade but very little else. I have a K-3ii also but the noise may be even more visible on the 24 Mp sensor.

Last edited by bschriver11; 03-31-2018 at 08:10 PM.