Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2017, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Work in progress and the progression of the work (band promo)
Lens: Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70/2.8 Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Oulu, Finland 

NSFW just in case

Im now on the final leg of the tour, so to say. I rarely do, or due to time and money concerns don't get an opportunity to do, this kind of work as I tend to lean on practical effects side but this was something that couldn't be done in a single exposure due to nature of the project. Fun experience all in all and Im already happy with the results and can't wait to get these finished.

Some will say that this is not photography and I think they are right but so are those that say that this is photography as the subject of post processing and compositing has been under constant discussion since early 1900s.

I began with the background work as it's the only way I think is feasible. Shot an assortment of landscapes in two themes during a nearly two weeks course as most of the times I had time to make these weather was not favorable. Note that all of these are straight from camera as I needed as much as possible to work on and only converted from raw to 16bit tiff(and now to jpg).

Some headscratching and I got very close to my vision of the backgrounds I wanted from these. Lighting and general feel of the scenes decided and scetched.

Chroma green in quite primitive conditions as I don't own a studio and the place I rent when needed had no open spots for me on the days I had to shoot these. Lighting generally matched to the background, had to improvise later as my orange-gelled rimlight on the guys head stopped working and I had no replacement on hand.

Keying test for the easier subjec as her legs wont be showing in the final image. Some lighting work done.

Final composite that was sent to the customer for approval and then to be finished. Some shadow work needed and a couple of small things.

Last edited by Drinkkeri; 12-17-2017 at 12:49 PM.
12-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Drinkkeri Quote
NSFW just in case

Im now on the final leg of the tour, so to say. I rarely do, or due to time and money concerns don't get an opportunity to do, this kind of work as I tend to lean on practical effects side but this was something that couldn't be done in a single exposure due to nature of the project. Fun experience all in all and Im already happy with the results and can't wait to get these finished.

Some will say that this is not photography and I think they are right but so are those that say that this is photography as the subject of post processing and compositing has been under constant discussion since early 1900s.

I began with the background work as it's the only way I think is feasible. Shot an assortment of landscapes in two themes during a nearly two weeks course as most of the times I had time to make these weather was not favorable. Note that all of these are straight from camera as I needed as much as possible to work on and only converted from raw to 16bit tiff(and now to jpg).

Some headscratching and I got very close to my vision of the backgrounds I wanted from these. Lighting and general feel of the scenes decided and scetched.

Chroma green in quite primitive conditions as I don't own a studio and the place I rent when needed had no open spots for me on the days I had to shoot these. Lighting generally matched to the background, had to improvise later as my orange-gelled rimlight on the guys head stopped working and I had no replacement on hand.

Keying test for the easier subjec as her legs wont be showing in the final image. Some lighting work done.

Final composite that was sent to the customer for approval and then to be finished. Some shadow work needed and a couple of small things.

Hmmm, just different

12-17-2017, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the subject of post processing and compositing has been under constant discussion since early 1900s.
Very true, it seems to me that the motivation for early photography (especially moving pictures) was to create illusions, to show something that couldn't be seen in real life. Eventually, photography moved to creating the illusion of the viewer being somewhere in place and time that he or she couldn't be at in real life, so in essence it is still an illusion since we do not have our own visual experience of the same subject at the same time to judge the photograph by.

I appreciate you sharing the story of making the final two images through the use of multiple photographs. Excellent work!
12-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Very interesting process, and clever processing. The final two images are great! However, my personal favourite is the third from bottom (though I realise it isn't the finished deliverable for the client)

12-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only thing I would change is for the female to not hold the candle lit antlers.
Remove the hands.
Distracting and not realism.

Just my thoughts.
Clarence
12-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
Only thing I would change is for the female to not hold the candle lit antlers.
Remove the hands.
Distracting and not realism.

Just my thoughts.
Clarence
As English is not my first language I am not quite sure what you meant with this but I thank you for your input.

Did you mean that the antlers should just hover there?
12-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As English is not my first language I am not quite sure what you meant with this but I thank you for your input.

Did you mean that the antlers should just hover there?
The candle lit antlers does look heavy and would need to be supported by the person wearing them(the hands).
My idea is to support it in another way so the hands are not shown, to look more natural like an animal that has antlers.
Or the use of her hands palm up as support like the last photo with the male with hands palm up.
Clenched hands/fist is distracting to me.
Tense vs relaxed expression.

But, I am not the thought process behind your photos.
You are

They are great photos.

Clarence