Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2017, 09:12 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Bee quiet!
Lens: Takumar 28 - 80 zoom plus 28mm extension tube Camera: K3 Photo Location: My back garden! ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F14 

Playing with macro in the back garden and I managed to see this little beastie. Three things I am learning about Macro, first is I need to watch the way the wind is blowing, second is I need a monopod or some other form of support, and third is I need to build on my core muscle strength to hold still!

The beastie in question is a blue banded bee, even though this one has a green tinge all over. And no it was not St Patricks day...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-25-2017, 07:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice capture! Another critical component of macro shooting is choosing an effective focal point and/or managing the DoF. In this shot, I'd say the eyes should be the focal point, but they're a bit soft. Otherwise, the background isolates the subject nicely, so there's good potential here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2018, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Playing with macro in the back garden and I managed to see this little beastie. Three things I am learning about Macro, first is I need to watch the way the wind is blowing, second is I need a monopod or some other form of support, and third is I need to build on my core muscle strength to hold still!

The beastie in question is a blue banded bee, even though this one has a green tinge all over. And no it was not St Patricks day...
Quite exceptional!
06-19-2018, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Lovely! I like the fuzz! So huggable (but only hipothetically).

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

06-25-2018, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, nice fuzzy bee! I agree with Adam about focal point but often we have to use what is at hand.
06-25-2018, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes DoF is rather thin even at f14. one solution is to shoot multiple shots in the hope that one of them will be in the zone.
07-04-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Your observations are correct. It is not easy too do macro in nature - due to the wind.
But here you managed quite well. Although a shoot from the front of the insect would have been better ;-)

08-02-2018, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Still, engaging subject, photo not too shabby. Generally try to be perpendicular to the subject, make sure the eye is in focus and have a background that sets it off. Sleeping bees make a good subject, google it for some other ideas on this theme. Keep it up