Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all of the feedback

Thanks for all of the feedback.
I really appreciate it.
The softness seems to be an artifact of the downsampling as I tried smoother rather than sharper to cover for the grain noise as the original was sharper.
I liked the image because it required some though but it is overly busy.
I also like the comment that if I had to explain what the viewer was looking at it probably wasn't the a good one which I took to mean it was a bit to esoteric (I hope I interpreted that correctly).

01-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One more comment The top (bottom is not necessarily over exposed it might be a real bright day you as a photographer can make the exposure what ever you want to get the effect you want you obiously used pattern metering, play with spot and segment metering as well as pattern would not have helped with this shot as pattern was the best chouce but if it was the correct way up spot on the trees lock it and then frame your shot and take it the pool would have been much darker but correct way up it would be understood. Just an extra note for you.
06-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
So this was my entry for the November photo contest and while it didn't become a finalist, I didn't expect it to, I did notice something a bit strange. While it didn't get many nominations, only 2, it did get a large number of views, well over 200. When I looked at other photos it seemed that most of them got 1 nomination for every 20-30 views. As the ratio for this photo was so dramatically different I am curious about people's thoughts on it. Especially those who did view it in the contest and didn't nominate it and why as the couple of comments I did get didn't provide any insight into how to do better.

I am really curious what people's reaction to the picture is and what could be improved

This was taken with my Spotmatic F using the 50mm f/1.4 SMC Takumar lens. The metering was done off of the reflection not the birch trees. The film used was Kodak Ektar and was scanned using a Pacific Image Prime Film XE scanner. For post processing I darkened the red and yellow a bit and auto stretched the contrast in Gimp but didn't do any more.

What you are looking at is trees reflected in an puddle that fills a low spot in the ATV trail. The top part of the picture as shown with the sky is actually the reflection and is what was closest to the camera with the birch trees being farthest away. I chose the upside down view because of how striking the image was when I got my prints back as all of the other reflection pictures I took were taken with the camera rotated 180 degrees as they were hand held while this one was off the tripod.

So did I just screw the pooch on the image all together, was the framing bad, was it just a bit too out there (I wanted something a bit different to enter but this may have been a bit much), is is just too busy, or is it something else?

I do realize that I probably could have fiddled around some more with scanning and done a normal exposure scan and a substantially underexposed scan and combined them to deal with the over bright non reflected area and still might do that once I figure out a good way of accomplishing that without things going sideways.
A nice shooting. It took me a little while to figure that it was upside down ;-)
But all in all: you have too much in the picture. The eyes are getting disturbed.
06-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
A nice shooting. It took me a little while to figure that it was upside down ;-)
But all in all: you have too much in the picture. The eyes are getting disturbed.
I had forgotten about this post. Looking back on it 6 or so months later I now look at it and realize where it went sideways automatically. I still like it because it is interesting but now understand that interesting doesn't necessarily mean good. I do know how I want to try and shoot it again this coming fall.

07-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #20
Sorry for all this
Loyal Site Supporter

It's just too busy, there is nothing for the eye to focus on. Typically when looking at a picture your eye is drawn to something in the scene and I find my own eye not finding anything to settle on. Keep trying! I do like the "turning it upside-down" idea. :-)