Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The photo is nice but changing the time of day would probably help with the light to make it more uniform and softer and therefore easier to deal with. It might also give you the opportunity to slow the exposure without additional filters, if you like that kind of thing. Direct sun on snow in the same shot with darker elements is a very wide DR to deal with and makes the shot look harsher.

I'll often bracket something like this and then instead of making a HDR, just pick the bracketed frame that I can work with the best and process that one.
Also, the composition is ok but doesn't really draw me in. For this scene I'm not sure what your options were but more leading lines always help.

ETTR can be a handy tool but it doesn't usually give you much benefit if it is a high contrast scene.

04-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too much blue ink, just remove it and the pic will come to life narturally.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:43 PM.
04-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean2 Quote
To be honest, of all the versions and changes, I like the original the best of all. I think the op did a great job on the White Balance and I think the colour saturation and cropping create a very interesting landscape that looks just like mid day, mid afternoon sun on the mountain top and being reflected into the darker fore ground. Post 12's version is the closest to the original, but that version looks more like sun setting.
Yes, the original is good and for me has a definite morning light feel to it...Dan's version really works for me with the darker foreground and more of an afternoon feel...
04-11-2018, 04:44 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like both of your shots. On the second one you brought out the alpenglow on the mountain and the blue in the shadows nicely. I do not see a lot of clutter. You photographed what was there. If you are shooting in jpeg then you need to try using the HDR (High Dynamic Range) settings in the camera to see what the results would be. 2

04-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think most of the renditions are pretty good. Overall, this is just a very nice shot. The one thing that bugs me, though, is the tiny branch that touches the side of the mountain on the upper left side. To me, that creates a bit of a merge since the branch is following the line of the mountain side. I think I'd retouch that out.
05-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think most of the renditions are pretty good. Overall, this is just a very nice shot. The one thing that bugs me, though, is the tiny branch that touches the side of the mountain on the upper left side. To me, that creates a bit of a merge since the branch is following the line of the mountain side. I think I'd retouch that out.
Yes, I would have moved slightly to the right and slightly down but looking at the scene I thought the Photographer would end up in the Icy Water...
07-28-2018, 12:27 AM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean2 Quote
To be honest, of all the versions and changes, I like the original the best of all. I think the op did a great job on the White Balance and I think the colour saturation and cropping create a very interesting landscape that looks just like mid day, mid afternoon sun on the mountain top and being reflected into the darker fore ground. Post 12's version is the closest to the original, but that version looks more like sun setting.
I agree with Dean, I much prefer the original to any of the edited versions. It seems unnecessary to add unreal colors / white balance when the original was a very beautiful, realistic winter scene. Only thing I might have done differently aside from tweaking contrast a tiny bit, is lower the camera and angle up a tiny bit, so that those top branches that encroach on the mountain wouldn't be there. Then you would have a mount surrounded by blue sky, and trees on the left leading down to the river.

But.. sometimes there is no perfect solution, too far up, branches on the top. Too far down, twigs and and grass from the bottom. One of my favorite winter images I captured is beautiful, but has twigs and limbs in front of my scene, and there was nothing I could do about it due to location on a river bank. So I chose to take the image in the best way I could so that the twigs still worked for the composition, instead of against it (at least as much as possible).

So sometimes we just have to do the best we can with what we have!

06-22-2021, 06:43 PM   #23

Honestly I really prefer the Original photo. It has more of a natural color to me. The only thing that I would change would be the branch at the top of the photo. It appears to just be floating out of nowhere.
06-23-2021, 04:56 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of all the versions, I like what Kerrowdown did. But in its version it is cloudy, while in the original it is sunny.
06-24-2021, 11:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

A nice image, because in my area outside it will be 40 degrees Celsius. The branches above are a bit distracting.