Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-01-2018, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #1

Idwal slabs
Lens: Tamron 17-50 Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Llyn Idwal ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F9 

A close up of the mountains in the previous image I posted. Any critique is welcome (exposure, composition etc.), I am really willing to improve my photography

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
02-06-2018, 03:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anything, I would boost contrast and saturation slightly. If possible include just a bit more of the lake. Other wise I reckon this is pretty good
02-06-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I would boost contrast

Great capture! I'll agree with Bruce that it's a picture that would reward a bit of post-processing with an eye toward increasing the "relief" of the landforms (since directional light might be hard to come by in your part of the world.) Otherwise, I'm not sure that the thin ribbon of water at the bottom of the frame is enough to provide context for the scene--if you make another trip, it might be worth experimenting with a wider view.
02-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
The picture is rather tightly cropped from the top and the bottom. I like how the clouds are just touching the top of the cliff, but the tight crop minimises makes it a bit difficult to appreciate.

02-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments I really appreciate that! In the postprocessing I cropped the image a little bit. Below I posted the image without crop (still quite tight). I also took another picture at the same location including more of the surroundings. I just did a quick process on this one, and this one is also posted below. Let me know what you think about, especially concerning the crop. Which one do you prefer?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
02-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd like to change my answer, please... With the new processing, I actually like the tight crop better now--I think you have a great template for whatever tonal work you'd like to do...I'd experiment with grad filters and vignettes to give our eyes a "path" to follow on the exposed grey stone. The wide crop at bottom lacks that sense of drama--and technically, I'm not sure if you're going to get the blown highlights in the clouds back.

At any rate, I'll look forward to many more shots from places in Wales, though it's a dead-lock certainty that I won't be able to pronounce any of 'em.
02-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the uncropped version. The left side of the picture has rather pronounced leading lines that were less noticeable in the tighter crop. You will probably notice that the slope, left part of the cliff and the back of the small hill are all pointing to a single small area in the picture, which is near to the river outlet (I presume that is where the water from the waterfall is headed). The eye will be naturally drawn to the spot, so place something there, either when taking a picture or in post processing.

I noticed that in the “raw” image the hill is brighter than the cliffs in the background, this gives some sense of space and distance. In the processed images the brightness is the same, so I didn't notice the hill right away. The usual standard is to “paint” foreground darker and background lighter. Landschap bij Dinant is a typical example, but in my experience making both background and foreground darker than the middle ground works as well.

I took the liberty with experimenting a bit with your picture. The edits made:
  • darkened the background a bit,
  • placed a small boat at the leading line spot (yes, it is a bit cheesy),
  • cropped the image, so the boat is dead center (vertically)

Attached Images

02-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I like the composition of the full image. A bit unfortunate having that orange pole there but until every photographer carries a boat, chainsaw, bolt cutters, angle grinder etc, in their kit these are the things we have to deal with. And deal with them with the tools at our disposal. It is perfectly acceptable to clone these distractions out of the image. I am always keen to see the stones lake bed in the foreground and the blurred reflections in the water. These elements to me at least, give depth to the scene.
02-15-2018, 03:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the replies! Initially my plan was to take a picture with a wider crop, like the second one I posted. But during the post-processing I realized that I actually more liked the cropped one. I still don't know which one I prefer. When I have time I will process your suggestions and then decide