Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2018, 04:46 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Inclined
Lens: smc DA* 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL (IF) Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: SO of France ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F7.1 

Here is a shot I took with cloudy "before the storm" sky, of a tree that suffered of the elements. I saw there a relationship...

Thanks for your comments!

02-25-2018, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

I find the composition and tonal balance well executed. I wonder though, about the horizon line; it seems slightly off to my eye.
03-01-2018, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be very critical: An ancient rule of composition, objects should lean into rather than out of an image. If they lean out, your eye is lead off the edge of the image. You cannot go back, but an ideal would have been to walk to the right to place the tree on the left side of the picture, then get low so more of the tree was silhouetted against the sky, acting as a frame for the dramatic sky*. All that said, the image as taken is very pleasing.

*It is possible, of course, that the terrain and the way the tree is angled might have made such a composition impossible.
06-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by néonaloj Quote
Here is a shot I took with cloudy "before the storm" sky, of a tree that suffered of the elements. I saw there a relationship...

I find myself drawn to the upper right as the tree draws me there, I feel forced to look back at the clouds which I enjoy.
I am wondering if the tree could have been framed on the left instead what effect that would have had.

06-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

great shot!
only a minor thing: the tree could be just a little more left, no more than 5-7%.
06-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice choice. Wouldn't change a thing.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
06-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by néonaloj Quote

You have so much drama in this picture. Very nice indeed. Nothing more to say.

06-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The previous comments on composition are quite correct. However we are all allowed to break the rules occasionally and this image qualifies. Perhaps a crop removing a portion of the left side would balance things a bit.

Rough crop attached, there is no a lot of interest out that side.
Attached Images