Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2018, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Critigue
Lens: Tamron 70 - 200mm Camera: K 1 Photo Location: my living room ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4.5 

Hey everyone , I've never claimed to be a portrait Photographer always a Landscaper !! The world of portraiture is a hole new Ball Game in my Opinion Especially when it comes to lighting , have recently picked up some equipment nothing extravagant most purchased from Ebay but I'm thinking it does the job !
let me give you my set up here for I think its important for you to know to give a proper opinion , first my key light is a yongnuo YN 660 speed light inside a 40" Gordox Soft box now the soft box is placed real close to the subject on a 45 height X45 but the box is positioned pretty much side on if not tilted more away from the subject , to the right Ive placed a reflector more to the floor to catch the down light of the key light , I've recently picked up a Studio Swivel Socket which holds an umbrella I used a 60watt Edison Bulb ( wish I could find a brighter one love the glow off these bulbs ) I've placed this set up behind on a 45x45 . this was a bit of trial and Error with the key light position, for I was trying to Black out the background hence the faster speed !

So Fire away welcome all good and bad ! Its Important to tell you my Subject is someone well known to me for 20yrs , taken on our Anniversary !

Cheers !!

Alan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks great on my end, nice job.
04-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you gmans !!
04-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
Maybe a crop ?

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:43 PM.
04-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yes thanks Schraubstock does look better cropped in !
04-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
yes thanks Schraubstock does look better cropped in !
Thanks for thje acknowledgement.
Don't know who you photographed; if you or the person in the pic ever want to frame this portrait (small for the desk or large for the wall) this would be the way to go I think.

Don't know if you have noticed, I dared to make a slight correction. I thought your take was a bit underexposed and the skin colour did not look right to me. But mainly the facial makeup colour in contrast to the shoulder skin was too contrasty for my liking. This is a common oversight with a number of portrait shooters to the extend that the head sometimes looks like it does not belong. The trick is to look out for this and try to equalise this by either toning down the face makeup or use a different colour makeup, give the shoulders a bit of a touchup or use a soft jel filter for the shoulders only. It could take a bit of experimenting. I am not a portrait shooter but this is what I have learned during a somewhat limited exposure to this activity.

Cheers
04-06-2018, 02:11 AM   #7
Forum Member

The lighting is very nice, the composition is nice also. For this type of setting you have done admirably. The only problem I have with this type of setting is the black background contrasts against white skin tones and is somewhat harsh. If she were seated near a window with natural light the softer tones of natural light would enhance her face and create a softer look along with a softer background.

Last edited by captureit; 04-06-2018 at 04:13 AM.
04-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Thanks for thje acknowledgement.
Don't know who you photographed; if you or the person in the pic ever want to frame this portrait (small for the desk or large for the wall) this would be the way to go I think.

Don't know if you have noticed, I dared to make a slight correction. I thought your take was a bit underexposed and the skin colour did not look right to me. But mainly the facial makeup colour in contrast to the shoulder skin was too contrasty for my liking. This is a common oversight with a number of portrait shooters to the extend that the head sometimes looks like it does not belong. The trick is to look out for this and try to equalise this by either toning down the face makeup or use a different colour makeup, give the shoulders a bit of a touchup or use a soft jel filter for the shoulders only. It could take a bit of experimenting. I am not a portrait shooter but this is what I have learned during a somewhat limited exposure to this activity.

Cheers
Thanks again Schraubstock for the Constructive Criticism , greatly appreciated , reading your take on the skin tone makes me wonder if it was the back lighting I used which was a consistent light source I used an Edison Bulb which gives off a very warm lighting effect , with the key light being a speed light over powering the continuous light source when hitting the shoulder area giving different skin tone , Portraitures are something I really want learn , so there will be a lot of trial and error on my part and like I mentioned when using Artificial Lighting , this is an entirely new game, my experience with lighting was more towards Video production back when Betamax was King ! so I'm trying to use some of what I learned 37 yrs ago and apply to Digital still Photography . and yes I agree the image is under exposed compared to others , but for some reason I always lean this way ! thanks again for the input

Cheers

Alan

---------- Post added 04-06-18 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by captureit Quote
The lighting is very nice, the composition is nice also. For this type of setting you have done admirably. The only problem I have with this type of setting is the black background contrasts against white skin tones and is somewhat harsh. If she were seated near a window with natural light the softer tones of natural light would enhance her face and create a softer look along with a softer background.
thank you Captureit for your kind words and input , this is exactly why I posted the photo to get opinions on how this type of photograph should look with areas for improvement !!
11-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
Hey everyone , I've never claimed to be a portrait Photographer always a Landscaper !! The world of portraiture is a hole new Ball Game in my Opinion Especially when it comes to lighting , have recently picked up some equipment nothing extravagant most purchased from Ebay but I'm thinking it does the job !
let me give you my set up here for I think its important for you to know to give a proper opinion , first my key light is a yongnuo YN 660 speed light inside a 40" Gordox Soft box now the soft box is placed real close to the subject on a 45 height X45 but the box is positioned pretty much side on if not tilted more away from the subject , to the right Ive placed a reflector more to the floor to catch the down light of the key light , I've recently picked up a Studio Swivel Socket which holds an umbrella I used a 60watt Edison Bulb ( wish I could find a brighter one love the glow off these bulbs ) I've placed this set up behind on a 45x45 . this was a bit of trial and Error with the key light position, for I was trying to Black out the background hence the faster speed !

So Fire away welcome all good and bad ! Its Important to tell you my Subject is someone well known to me for 20yrs , taken on our Anniversary !

Cheers !!

Alan
Not bad! Your model is posed well, but I would have had her look slightly down at the flowers if you wanted to include those. And crop it as a portrait.
11-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Good and nice. Maybe it should have been flashed or you have been tricked into measuring the machine matrix .The face is a bit dark.
Attached Images

11-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
Banned

wonderful portrait