Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2018, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #1

Night time cityscape
Lens: 18-135 (at 36mm) Camera: K3 Photo Location: Basel, Switzerland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F11 

Hi everyone,

After a month or 2, I finally got round to taking some photos again last week. This is a photo of the oldest bridge in Basel, Switzerland, and the surrounding city. I think it's one of my favourites that I've taken so far. But I'm sure there is room for improvement :-)
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Chris

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look goods the photo, put you aperture manual to 5.6 or f 8 would be better than f11 Automatic.
04-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi gmans,

Thanks for the reply. I shot this in aperture priority mode (I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "f11 Automatic"). Why would f5.6 or f8 would be better than f11?
Cheers,
Chris
04-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your right on the Aperutre, my misread the Exif about f11 was not automatic. The f11 and my time of exposure was longer time maybe of 20 seconds would closer to more f8 and leave longer time to.

04-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a nice image but as you mention there is room for improvement. My suggestions for next time would be to recompose so that you avoid the river embankment creeping into the bottom left corner and to try to shoot earlier in the evening when there is still some colour in the sky.
04-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was my immediat thought. It is called the blue hour.

There is a calculator for this.

Twilight Calculator - "Blue Hour / Golden Hour Table" | JeKoPhoto - Jens Kossmagk Photography | Event-, Natur- and Sport-Photos

Twilight Calculator - "Blue Hour / Golden Hour Table" | JeKoPhoto - Jens Kossmagk Photography | Event-, Natur- and Sport-Photos

"so that you avoid the river embankment creeping into the bottom left corner" Yes
04-17-2018, 04:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you both for the feedback.
I agree earlier in the evening would have been better. I'm not sure I can recompose it to cut out the bit on the bottom left from that spot, but I'll give it a go next time I'm out shooting :-)
Cheers,
Chris
04-17-2018, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

There is still a lot of blue to be coaxed out of the sky mainly because the image is underexposed, It is darker than it needs to be. Have increased brightness and the blue of the sky starts to appear. Doesn't come out very well with the JPG but I think you can see what I mean. I hope you have shot this in RAW, if so you will be able to do a better job.

And why not just crop a bit, it is not entirely necessary to have all of the arches of the bridge in the frame I think.

Appart from all that it is a pretty picture.

Cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yes I took it in Raw and I'm sure I can bring out the blue in the sky a bit more.
As for cropping, personally I prefer not to cut off the arch and I don't want the church in the background to be too close to the edge of the frame, but I'll play around with it and see if I can improve it.
Thanks,
Chris