Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-27-2018, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Back from hiatus
Lens: Pentax 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 Camera: K-r 

Hey everyone!

So a few days ago I felt like taking photos after a looong time (I think I haven't touched my camera for 3 years) and my first model was my dog. I'm posting here photos that I have already edited, but I would just like to get some opinions on them (hopefully this is the right thread to post my photos). What interests me the most is that do you think they are rather underexposed? When I look at them on my computer, they look nice (the lighting), but on my phone they look rather dark, even if I set the brightness up - it seems as if I've added a lottttt of contrast to these photos. So my main concern here is that nowadays people use their phones a lot, so I would just like to have my pics look alright on all devices. I figured it was alright if the original was a bit darker than overexposed because it is easier to make pictures look brighter, you know. Ah, anyways, if I could get some opinions then that would be very appreciated!

I used external flash for these photos as well and just tried different angles of the flash and tried different settings so you know, just tried to get ahold of these things again.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
08-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing. My favorite was the third picture. Love the attention your dog gives looking towards right.
08-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A very cooperative model! I wish my kids would sit this still!

Nice way to come back to photography. Best of luck and keep shooting!
08-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #4

Wonderful capture of dog character.

08-31-2018, 11:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodhr Quote
What interests me the most is that do you think they are rather underexposed? When I look at them on my computer, they look nice (the lighting), but on my phone they look rather dark
Hi
Your question hasn't been answered yet, see if I can make a start.
Yes you pictures are a tad underexposed. I run a EIZO screes which is the screen preferred by most professional operators. It is also carefully calibrated to industry standards. So what I see on my screen is pretty well correct.
You say you used an external flash but I don't see evidence of that. It could be that the flash and the camera shutter are not synchronised, either the flash fires too early or too late.
The reason why your images are too dark on your smartphone could simply be that the colour gamut of your computer screen or your image and the one of your smartphone are incompatible. If that is the case I can't answer how to correct this as I don't know much about smartphone display technology. Someone here may be able to shed some light on this.

There is another point worth mentioning. I noticed you have posted your images with 240PPI resolution when for posting here it should be 72PPI, this means the forum upload engine will scale this back, possibly (as I don't know the forum upload technology) this could result in image degradation. This could also be the case when you upload to your smartphone. A good rule is to let a good image manipulation app do the JPG 72PPI conversion.

“I would just like to have my pics look alright on all devices”

This could be an uphill battle as devices are not always set up the same or use different technologies. The difference should not be too great though.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:52 PM.
09-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
There is another point worth mentioning. I noticed you have posted your images with 240PPI resolution when for posting here it should be 72PPI, this means the forum upload engine will scale this back, possibly (as I don't know the forum upload technology) this could result in image degradation. This could also be the case when you upload to your smartphone. A good rule is to let a good image manipulation app do the JPG 72PPI conversion.
And after more than a year I see this and need to change my settings for forum uploads.
Nice dog! listen the Schraubstock as he knows more than many here and is looking for accuracy in images.