Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

a shot from Prague

I kinda like the object in foreground.
When I saw this scene I felt that there could be some photogenetic elements in it.
The light wasn't that great and my attempt to exposure was even worse...
Anyway, I was able to somewhat fix that bad exposure in post processing and was also able to bring some interest to the otherwise dull sky.

There's still some fringing etc. but they don't show in the final print so I haven't fixed them yet.

Is there something that might have made this picture better? Or is it just not that interesting scene after all?

Maybe I could at least photoshop that one parked car away

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest to crop a little bit from the bottom, perhaps half way up towards the mirror image in the left side. The car doesn't bother me.
05-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, it does make it look better. Also the left side might be cropped a bit.
05-14-2018, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No the car means nothing.
Personally I am not a big friend for black and white photos, I live in a world full of colours. Still I must admit B/W works sometimes and has its place.

I am not completely happy with this industrial looking contraption in the foreground, but take no notice of my dislike - if you see it differently that is all that matters. Maybe if I look at it long enough it may grow on me.

But how about going on the wild side with this, who says you have to follow convention.
Frame it and hang it on the wall, I would not be surprised if you like it in this format.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:46 PM.
05-14-2018, 05:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete82 Quote
When I saw this scene I felt that there could be some photogenetic elements in it.
I think your instincts were right. I like this scene a lot. When I'm teaching someone photography, I tell them, "Whenever you see something and think to yourself, 'That's kinda cool'...that should be your clue that there's a photo in there somewhere. Then all you have to do is figure out exactly what it was that caught your attention and how best to show that off." I pretty much agree with what Ole has said. The car doesn't bother me and I'd crop a bit off the bottom. I'm not crazy about the dock in the foreground, but if it wasn't there, you'd be left with a large chunk of open water that you'd probably be cropping out anyway. So while it's industrial feel contrasts with the pastoral feeling of the background, it serves a purpose in that it fills what would otherwise be a blank area in the composition and provides an extra layer of depth to your picture. Overall, it's a very nice shot!
05-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you're keen on retaining the barge at the foot of the slipway I think Schraubstock has done a very nice job on it by emphasising the vertical elements, I find that car annoying too, and I do really like black and white work.

Afterthought, maybe a little more off the bottom to just below where the reflection on the right ends

Last edited by PenPusher; 05-14-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Afterthought:
05-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for these comments. Good points in all of them.

It was a very bright day and the photo was somewhat over-exposed. The photo was hazed and didn't have much color in it. Which is why I tried BW.
I'm quite happy how Silver efex pro and some other tweaking was able to save this image.

08-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might try bumping up the contrast.
10-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like your shot a lot and have no issues at all with the framing, as all the space is well used, yet the image can breathe. (Leave the car in, no bother whatsoever.) If I had taken it, I would likely take it into Silver Efex Pro and try a few different presets on it to get ideas and possible starting points for alternative interpretations. But even with tonality, you're almost there - or even "there there" (if you went for a natural look and remember the light that way).
10-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I find it fascinating and it grabs my attention. I'd crop up the bottom as others have said (I find vertical 3:2 photos are often to cramped of a feeling and a crop to 5:4 or 4:3 helps balance the composition)
Maybe play around with some contrast and see what you can get, but overall a nice photo!