Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Taking a leap with some new portraits
Lens: FA 77mm 1.8 Ltd Camera: K3-ii Photo Location: San Diego, CA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F2.5 

Earlier this year I posted a photo that I took of my wife. It was my first attempt at portraiture. I was happy with the results, but the original file had to be heavily developed in Lightroom to achieve the final result. I was happy with it, but as time goes on I see more of the flaws. Yesterday I volunteered to take headshots for all the kids in our local drama program. My kids are among the actors, and everyone was thrilled for me to be there. Of course, I didn't tell anyone that I'd never really done anything like this before.

Besides having the whole event go off without incident, I was really satisfied with the results out of the camera. The only real adjustments that I made were cropping the images, and brightening and sharpening the eyes just a little. I was set up in a high rec space with high ceilings and awful fluorescent lights. Fortunately, using a speed lite in a softbox helped to kill that effect. I used a black backdrop that was far enough back to blur into an even tone. I'm really happy with the results. Given more time with each kid, I would have worked more on their poses (I had limited time and 17 people to shoot). What do you all think? I'll take any pointers that you have for me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like 'em, Neokind!

The ratio of key to fill is greater than one stop, which is more dramatic than many headshots but I prefer it.

And that setup you have you can do virtually anywhere, tried and proven!

05-19-2018, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Like 'em, Neokind!

The ratio of key to fill is greater than one stop, which is more dramatic than many headshots but I prefer it.

And that setup you have you can do virtually anywhere, tried and proven!

Thanks! I forgot to mention I was using a bounce opposite the speed lite for a little fill. Unfortunately I was running short on time so couldn't quite tune it. I'm happy considering I was winging it. I need to learn more about lighting...
05-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I like them too .... the flashes have done whats needed and you've kept a good amount of contrast across the faces. I think you're pushing it too far with F2.5 .... making it hard on yourself to get good focus, and sharpness suffers a little. I'd be shooting these at F8, as I find kids are often not still enough and you need good back to front depth of focus over the head.

05-19-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 to Nigel's advice.

There is no background bokeh to think about, so get nice and sharp by stopping down.

F8 or f11, ISO 100 and 1/180s. Check without the flash this generates a completely black frame, as this means any crappy environmental lighting becomes irrelevant. The low ISO also means your controller flash (if used) is unlikely to be seen.

You nailed the exposures - beautiful skin tones you won't get shooting either in the sun or the shade, more like posing near a window.

05-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #6

I really like the pictures and lighting balance. I however prefer more of the subject in focus so recommend stopping down the aperture. It seems you are finding a style that suits you well.
05-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I like them too .... the flashes have done whats needed and you've kept a good amount of contrast across the faces. I think you're pushing it too far with F2.5 .... making it hard on yourself to get good focus, and sharpness suffers a little. I'd be shooting these at F8, as I find kids are often not still enough and you need good back to front depth of focus over the head.
Great comment. You know, I had not initially planned to use the lens so wide open, but I was late to set up and was having problems with the flash triggers. Once things were working, I just went with it. In retrospect, I wish I'd done just as you suggest. I found too many of my images, especially ones with really great expressions, where the focus was on the wrong eye. Next time I'll stop down more to prevent the problem.

Another issue that I have is that I really don't know how to set up the flash to expose correctly. I'm just winging it and making adjustments until things look good to me. I'm especially happy, this time around, that I needed to do very little work in post. But, as you suggested, there are certainly some things that I would be wise to change the next time I take portraits. Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-20-2018 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
+1 to Nigel's advice.

There is no background bokeh to think about, so get nice and sharp by stopping down.

F8 or f11, ISO 100 and 1/180s. Check without the flash this generates a completely black frame, as this means any crappy environmental lighting becomes irrelevant. The low ISO also means your controller flash (if used) is unlikely to be seen.

You nailed the exposures - beautiful skin tones you won't get shooting either in the sun or the shade, more like posing near a window.
Thanks so much. Yeah, I wish now that I'd stopped down more. Next time, for sure. But I do really like the skin tones that I was able to get. They feel really natural to me.

---------- Post added 05-20-2018 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lake Quote
I really like the pictures and lighting balance. I however prefer more of the subject in focus so recommend stopping down the aperture. It seems you are finding a style that suits you well.
+1. Totally agree. Next time.