Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

Need your opinion!
Lens: Lester A. Dine 105mm Camera: Pentax K5 IIs ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.6 

I guess there are million of photos like this, so nothing original. But what about technical side - composition, post-processing etc.? What do you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
05-22-2018, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the negative space and tonal quality and how the lines and light lead me to the droplet. It is really bothersome that the droplet is out of focus after everything in the composition telling me to focus on it.
05-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

May have been better to shoot it at f/16 to get some more depth.
06-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buruny Quote
I guess there are million of photos like this, so nothing original. But what about technical side - composition, post-processing etc.? What do you think?
The framing and colour on this is incredible, love it!

06-05-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the rich and dense green feeling and being graphically drawn to the center. The bright central white does not provide a pleasing counterpart to it. It shines too much for my taste.
06-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RE: Need your opinion!

I think the droplet IS in focus, but the focus sensor in the camera understand much easy the contour or 2D shape of objects than the depth of field in a 3D reflected distorted image inside the droplet.
Keep the good work.
06-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The thing I like most are the different shades of green, and how they go from detailed to flat as they go from in focus to out of focus.
Opening the page I only saw the green, then scrolling down to see the whole picture I saw the droplet. I mean, it's useful for the picture, serving as a main subject, but what I enjoy the most are the greens.

06-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good composition. Colors nice and rich. But the softness of the edge of the droplet is a distraction for me. The droplet is the focal point of the image. It should be in focus in my opinion. And I stress "in my opinion." Probably could have bumped up the ISO to 200-400 and tightened the aperture down to f/11, f/13. I'm a big fan of bracketing when I have the time. You're definitely on to something here. That drop of water has a gem like quality to it.
06-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey! Beautiful composition and combination of colors. I also think a bit more dof could have helped, but it's just a subjective thing, the colors are enough to keep our attention on the drop. Another thing I would try is to play with Whites and saturation (to make greens a bit more vivid, alive); but that's a choice, if you like this mood then it's perfect.
06-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buruny Quote
Haven't shot one of these images myself, so I just wonder: would you be able to get a sharp image in the water drop? Maybe somebody else knows?
06-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A great composition. I just fee the focus is not quite right. Personally I find blurry foreground details a bit off-putting. A greater depth of field would help greatly in my opinion. . With droplets, changing the focus can reveal amazing details. Keep experimenting, I would like to see more.
06-27-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
Haven't shot one of these images myself, so I just wonder: would you be able to get a sharp image in the water drop? Maybe somebody else knows?
I've gotten sharp images in a pool of water, never tried a waterdrop.
But the fact remains, that if the image is a reflection, the focus will be different for that and the water drop proper (or the plant).

E.g. shooting a cloud in a puddle, if the cloud is in focus, the ground will not be, and vice versa:
Reflections by Paolo Del Lungo, su Flickr
07-09-2018, 07:44 AM - 2 Likes   #13

Original Poster
Well, I wanted to have a shallow DOF because otherwise the image felt flat in my opinion. And the blurred background added some mystery. I was experimenting with the focus point for the droplet - to have all contours in focus meant to lose that complexity within the droplet, so it was kind of a trade of. But I don't feel that there is a general lack of focus for the droplet.
But anyway I really appreciate your feedback - that was what I needed! Thank you! Now back to experiments.
07-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The image as a whole is good, so you probably made the right choices
Apart from that, for shots of that kind I'd use manual focus, Live View and magnification in order to be very precise.
07-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I felt this is a shot with trade offs. Is or was there a perfect solution? So many times i have thought a great photo is there but i can't take it. Sometimes it is lack of vision and sometimes it is reality.