Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
portrait with gelled snoot
Lens: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: dirty garage ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F3.5 

had a shoot for some clients and setup a quick studio in my garage. I thought the background was missing something when it was totally dark so I threw on a CTO gel and snoot hit the background with it. How does everything look? Any points for improvement all around?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I really like the effect of the gelled snooted light on the background. It brings some life and interest to the surrounds of the subject and softens the sharp edge around him and the blackness behind.

Regarding the face, it's a very extreme switch from the lit side to the unlit side, emphasised by the half split down the nose. My preference would be for some spill from the main light to reach his right eye and bring that out.... I'm not keen on a "black eye". A change in body angle and face direction towards the main light might achieve this.

Also I feel a little fill on the off side world be nice. I appreciate that this may change the tone and not be your intention but both spproaches are worth a shot or 10!
06-01-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well done, Enoeske, split lighting is a standard setup, and works well IMHO for men and for women with strong personalities.

The gel does give the pic a lift - a white background doesn't have that warm mood.

My only suggestion is that with your subject's mouth closed, he should tilt his head back a bit and look down on you slightly, so the feel is confident rather than defensive.

Last edited by clackers; 06-01-2018 at 12:34 PM.
06-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Regarding the face, it's a very extreme switch from the lit side to the unlit side, emphasised by the half split down the nose. My preference would be for some spill from the main light to reach his right eye and bring that out.... I'm not keen on a "black eye". A change in body angle and face direction towards the main light might achieve this.
Thanks. I would have preferred some fill on that side as well, or a rim light. The extreme side lit was the clients request. He wanted a really contrasty black and white with half the face lit and the other side nearly black.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well done, Enoeske, split lighting is a standard setup, and works well IMHO for men and for women with strong personalities.

The gel does give the pic a lift - a white background doesn't have that warm mood.

My only suggestion is that with your subject's mouth closed, he should tilt his head back a bit and look down on you slightly, so the feel is confident rather than defensive.
I have that shot as well. Honestly, I have about 10 shots from the shoot that are great and couldn't choose which to post. Client wanted b&w but they look great in color too.

06-02-2018, 03:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you could post any of the alternatives I’d be grateful ..... useful for those of us looking to understand the effects of light placement better and trying to improve our portraits.
I’m glad the subject was pleased with it and you were able to give that look, that’s the main achievement. Myself, I just find a front on face like this with only one eye lit rather odd .....
06-02-2018, 03:59 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Myself, I just find a front on face like this with only one eye lit rather odd .....
Just google 'Split lighting', Nigel, and have a look at the images the search returns.

Also look at the iconic cover of 'With the Beatles'. It's dramatic, very cool.

One eye front on is a standard shot with the model's hair falling across the other ... it makes for intrigue.

If a client asks for this look and feel, we have to have done it many times beforehand like any other style.

And if as amateurs we get the best out of ourselves and our hobby by learning the routines the pros do, this is one of them.

Last edited by clackers; 06-02-2018 at 04:04 AM.
06-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you could post any of the alternatives I’d be grateful ..... useful for those of us looking to understand the effects of light placement better and trying to improve our portraits.
I’m glad the subject was pleased with it and you were able to give that look, that’s the main achievement. Myself, I just find a front on face like this with only one eye lit rather odd .....
Here is 2 more. One with another client (same shoot) with the light more above, and another more as the client requested with no backlight.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo