Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #1

Northern Lights Over Reykjavik
Camera: K-x Photo Location: Reykjavik ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F5.6 

Hi Everyone, I was going through some pictures I took last year and found this one. Was wondering if there is anything you would have done differently (framing, post, etc.). I feel like its missing something. Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
06-08-2018, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

Because you have a nice soft horizon you could select the sky (with feathering) and bump up the contrast and the saturation a bit. It is easy to go overboard, most aurora shots one sees are "enhanced" somewhat, this could use some.

Like this:

Last edited by Unregistered User; 06-09-2018 at 05:48 AM. Reason: added example
06-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you use Lightroom or a similar program use the graduated filter function to lighten and contrast the sky more, you can saturate it or make it more punchy. Up to you. When you get something you like post a follow up here so we can see your progress.
06-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It appears there is some pixelation in the sky- possibly from compression issues? At 200 ISO, it should be pretty clear if you used a solid mount. With how much brighter the city is than the sky, the graduated filter would have been very helpful during shooting, You could also use 2 exposures and blend to optimize the detail in the light. The movement of the aurora across the frame is good, but I'm not convinced the playground in the foreground compliments the image- it does add depth, but feel s a little out of place.

07-22-2018, 04:27 AM   #5

As you were able to capture a beautiful sky, I can suggest to cut a bit from the bottom of the photo, where there are no buildings. Right now, the bottom part shows the end of the city and gives a "finite look" of the picture.
With such a great sky - I would try to "show the infinity" by not showing the end (or at least it seems like the end) of he city.
On the other hand - it might ruin the balance in the photo.