Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Senior Member
tonver's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 239
Birds in the Florida Everglades.
Lens: SMC FA-J 75-300mm 1:4.5-5.8 AL Camera: k-3ii Photo Location: South Florida Everglades ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F5.6 

Another try at bird photograph at the Florida Everglades.
Please any advice will be appreciated

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 82
The picture appears very low contrast and washed out in color on my screen. I would increase the contrast. When possible I prefer this type of picture taken from a lower viewpoint (you might get wet).
06-10-2018, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,784
QuoteOriginally posted by tonver Quote
Another try at bird photograph at the Florida Everglades.
Please any advice will be appreciated
The bird looks great, but the rest of the shot is a little dull, so it doesn't help the photo overall IMO. I'd crop to focus more on the bird (probably vertically), and then boost the contrast.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-11-2018, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 933
Don't mind those two, any time you get the bird in focus and not just its tail feathers vanishing out of the frame is a success.

06-11-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Member
tonver's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 239
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lake Quote
The picture appears very low contrast and washed out in color on my screen. I would increase the contrast. When possible I prefer this type of picture taken from a lower viewpoint (you might get wet).
Yes, it's true, I think I can do a little bit more in pp, also, the water was cold (at least for my Florida standards) and it is hunting season for humans in the gator kingdom.

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 11:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The bird looks great, but the rest of the shot is a little dull, so it doesn't help the photo overall IMO. I'd crop to focus more on the bird (probably vertically), and then boost the contrast.
Adam,
I will try cropping the photo, I have it as my background in windows so the space in front of the bird is where all the icons go. (good lame excuse)
I am trying to learn the K-3ii had it just one very rainy month.

Thanks,

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 11:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Don't mind those two, any time you get the bird in focus and not just its tail feathers vanishing out of the frame is a success.
Thanks, Penpusher,
I wont post all the other blurry feathers on the edge of the frame, those "For my eyes only"
06-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Indiana, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,826
QuoteOriginally posted by tonver Quote
The picture appears very low contrast and washed out in color on my screen. I would increase the contrast. When possible I prefer this type of picture taken from a lower viewpoint (you might get wet). Yes, it's true, I think I can do a little bit more in pp, also, the water was cold (at least for my Florida standards) and it is hunting season for humans in the gator kingdom.
Definitely a good reason to stay up on the embankment and look and listen carefully when shooting. Stop down a bit more, and increasing the contrast in post might help. Overall it is a good shot since hunting birds hate being disturbed by us silly humans.
06-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
tonver's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 239
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Definitely a good reason to stay up on the embankment and look and listen carefully when shooting. Stop down a bit more, and increasing the contrast in post might help. Overall it is a good shot since hunting birds hate being disturbed by us silly humans.
SSGGeezer,

Thank you, I spend a good a amount of time just trying to transparent, but they saw me every single time and flying you go...


I will be doing some PostProcessing later and also play with cropping.

thanks, again..
06-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Indiana, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,826
QuoteOriginally posted by tonver Quote
SSGGeezer,

Thank you, I spend a good a amount of time just trying to transparent, but they saw me every single time and flying you go...


I will be doing some PostProcessing later and also play with cropping.

thanks, again..
If they take off, being at F/8 or F/9 and 1/800 or faster can get you a good Bird in flight shot also. Then it is just hoping it is bright enough to keep the ISO at an acceptable level. It is surprising how fast Herons and Egrets fly immediately after taking off too!

06-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 220
Nice shot. It's tough to get the big predators to stick around long enough for a good pic. I agree with the idea to bring out the color a bit with some processing. I'm new to processing, so I couldn't begin to tell you what to do, but if you can make the yellow in his eyes and on his feet "pop" just a bit more, and crop to the bird in vertical as has been suggested, I think this one has a lot of potential to really grab the eye. The stark white and yellow with a little black should make for a nice, bright photo.
06-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tupelo, MS
Posts: 77
I think the focus and composition are spot on, but I think it could be given more pop in post processing by increasing contrast and/or playing with the color sliders in Lightroom.

---------- Post added 06-23-18 at 02:40 PM ----------

After looking again, the brown twigs above the beak are a little distracting. I think the only way you could have gotten rid of them was by shooting from a slightly different angle, or removing them in Photoshop. It is only a minor distraction though and may not have bothered anyone else.
07-04-2018, 03:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
henrikpedersen33's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Roskilde, Denmark
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,379
QuoteOriginally posted by tonver Quote
Another try at bird photograph at the Florida Everglades.
Please any advice will be appreciated
The focus is sharp.
I would like the picture a bit lighter.
07-05-2018, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Senior Member
tonver's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 239
Original Poster
SSGGeezer,


QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If they take off, being at F/8 or F/9 and 1/800 or faster can get you a good Bird in flight shot also
Thank you, I would be planning ahead for the take off the next time...

---------- Post added 07-05-18 at 11:39 AM ----------

dubyam,

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
I agree with the idea to bring out the color a bit with some processing. I'm new to processing,
I am also new to post-processing, I will try to work with color levels, etc.
my problem is sometimes I fix one and destroy other colors... learning...


Thanks,

---------- Post added 07-05-18 at 11:46 AM ----------

mhrish,

QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
, the brown twigs above the beak are a little distracting.

I will try to remove them, I am using Corel Paintshop I will see if with color levels I can adjust it further, need some quiet time...

Thanks,


henrikpendersen33

Thanks very much, I will spend some time playing with post processing.
08-08-2018, 01:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,163
I agree with previous posters; upping the contrast and increasing the color saturation would boost it a lot.
08-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #14
Senior Member
tonver's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: miami, florida
Posts: 239
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
I agree with previous posters; upping the contrast and increasing the color saturation would boost it a lot.
Thank you Photogoof,
Later, I will be posting some changes I have already made in that direction.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bird, color, contrast, critique, feathers, florida, focus, frame, levels, photo, photography, picture, post, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Aningha in the Everglades tonver Photo Critique 10 08-06-2018 07:51 AM
Nature Another Bird in the Everglades tonver Photo Critique 5 11-17-2017 12:17 PM
Landscape Amber Cove, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Grand Turk, Florida Everglades Lmcfarrin Post Your Photos! 1 04-09-2017 11:02 PM
Nature birds birds birds and a squirrel alltatts Post Your Photos! 8 03-18-2016 07:50 AM
Birds, birds and more birds OrenMc Post Your Photos! 10 01-17-2009 07:47 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top