Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 10:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
That is pretty much the real color. I dare not polish it because that does take away some value. Sterling silver will get a yellowish then black patina, and after 161 years it has had time to develop a good patina.
Wow I didn't know! Thank you for telling me! The watch looks beautiful and so does your picture!

08-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #17

Looking for general feedback. I know the blurred writing is distracting but other than that looking for suggestions.
This is the back of a very old womens silver pocket watch about 45mm in diameter that has been in my family since it was purchased new.
Camera: K-3
Lens: 28mm SMC Takumar on an 11mm extension tube
F/8
ISO 100
4s
Flash bounced off of the ceiling

My camera bag was behind the watch but decided to partially bail on so it uncovered the writing on the black shoe box. I do plan on constructing a proper backdrop and surface for doing this in the future so I am aware of that issue.
I like the illumination and focus. I miss the top part.
09-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like stated by others, top is a bit crammed.
Too dark, unless this is absolutely what you wanted but you have some doubts otherwise you would not have posted it here. I suggest two possibilities.
The last image is probably the correct colour.
Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:52 PM.
09-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
The last image is probably the correct colour.
I think you took a bit too much yellow out of the second one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Too dark, unless this is absolutely what you wanted but you have some doubts otherwise you would not have posted it here.
I post pictures here because I barely seem to know what I am doing most of the time. Friends and family think I take pretty good photos but compared to others here I have a long ways to go. I decided that I wanted to get better at taking pictures and figured getting feedback from others would be a good way as it gives me feedback on how I can improve. I liked the darkness of the original but that was probably because it brought out the yellowing on the silver more, that and I tend to like dark images probably to a fault.

10-30-2019, 06:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Great colors and subject. It only needs more space (above) to breathe.
12-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Looking for general feedback. I know the blurred writing is distracting but other than that looking for suggestions.
This is the back of a very old womens silver pocket watch about 45mm in diameter that has been in my family since it was purchased new.
F/8
ISO 100
4s

My camera bag was behind the watch but decided to partially bail on so it uncovered the writing on the black shoe box. I do plan on constructing a proper backdrop and surface for doing this in the future so I am aware of that issue.
Not sure what blurred writing you're talking about. I don't see anything. This is a lovely image and it's a beautiful watch. I wonder, would it be possible to get the watch face along with the back detail? That's the only thing about this: without you telling me I couldn't tell it was a watch.
12-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #22

F/8
ISO 100
4s

I would attempt a shot with a natural stone or rock element to compliment the minerals and age of the watch, and its rather old well used patina, black cloth or velvet in the photo could be altered with the natural stone base as well. Might add a tease to the attractive watch face. Interesting piece. Being a womans watch i would even try a small glass surface or mirror to add reflections as water would, adding to the elemental emotions of a womans watch piece.

Last edited by Sight1; 12-23-2019 at 06:52 PM.
12-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #23
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a lot of detail in the design, so an image that was brighter overall would be more appealing to me as I'd see more of the fine details.
12-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a lot about this image that I like. I think the bronze color and lighting is very appealing. It doesn't look like you were shooting with mixed color temperature light sources. I might have gone for a slightly lighter exposure, but that's just personal taste. I also might have used a white card/piece of paper to re-bounce some of the ceiling light onto the bottom edge of the watch, but that might be tricky to accomplish. The missing part of the watch at the top does bug me. It removes some of the main subject of the image. I would try to see if I could include in the frame as much of the chain as possible, including the frayed rope end. It's part of the story, the history, of this venerable old timekeeper.
12-29-2019, 04:26 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Nice image!
12-29-2019, 03:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Nicely done, agree to post #2.
01-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

with soo much room below I dislike the top being cut off. The detail is captured nicely though. There is a dark spot about 12:15, is this really darker or lighting? Wish this was clear.