Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 07:48 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very old watch
Lens: 28mm SMC Takumar Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Kitchen Table ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 4s Aperture: F8 

Looking for general feedback. I know the blurred writing is distracting but other than that looking for suggestions.
This is the back of a very old womens silver pocket watch about 45mm in diameter that has been in my family since it was purchased new.
Camera: K-3
Lens: 28mm SMC Takumar on an 11mm extension tube
F/8
ISO 100
4s
Flash bounced off of the ceiling

My camera bag was behind the watch but decided to partially bail on so it uncovered the writing on the black shoe box. I do plan on constructing a proper backdrop and surface for doing this in the future so I am aware of that issue.

06-11-2018, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I would like to have the top millimetre or two left in the photo; other than that, it's pretty good!
It's a nice pattern on the watch there
06-12-2018, 03:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I would like to have the top millimetre or two left in the photo; other than that, it's pretty good!
It's a nice pattern on the watch there
I was thinking the same. Thanks for the feedback.
06-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice detail and feel to the image. Missing the top of the back cover is no big deal for me, as the mind completes it. You have all of the front. BTW, the writing on the shoe box backing does not seem to come through in the posted image, but using a proper back drop is always a good start!

06-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Nice detail and feel to the image. Missing the top of the back cover is no big deal for me, as the mind completes it. You have all of the front.
To me, the "head room" issue is more about the front cover than about the back. There is so little space above the front cover that I feel like I have to duck. For that reason, I would like a little more space above.
06-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Keep them coming. I like the thoughts and reasoning that people provide and the ensuing discussion.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
You have all of the front
Actually that is the back cover. This watch is old enough that it actually required a key to wind which is what the back cover covers. The crystal and hands have been lost to time so the watch face is another interesting image that I will get around to posting eventually.

This picture and the one of the face were done because I was disappointed with the results of an outing earlier in the day and wanted to take a picture that wasn't a disappointment. So they were unplanned and fairly late at night so getting a proper backdrop at 10:30pm isn't really an option. Instead I made do with what I could find around the house that wasn't too awful.
06-16-2018, 03:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice image, the clarity on the engraved detail is pin sharp and gives a real depth of feel to it. As far as the lighting is concerned there appears to be a darker area just where the flat surface curls away to the edge, between 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock. It may be natural, the result of wear and tear or bad lighting, but it just annoys me a little.

Personally I would have led the watch chain around the lower section of the image, it may fill the empty space and add some context. But that's just me

06-18-2018, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
there appears to be a darker area just where the flat surface curls away to the edge, between 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock. It may be natural, the result of wear and tear or bad lighting
There is a darker area there on the watch so it is natural. I haven't cleaned the

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Personally I would have led the watch chain around the lower section of the image
Good suggestion but the chain isn't so much a chain as it is a few links that connect a woven horse hair rope that has mostly denigrated and is only a couple of inches long at this point. When I shoot the face of the watch again I should be able to get it in and not have it look awful (the woven rope is pretty scraggly as the broken end).
06-19-2018, 06:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like the mystery. Like others have expressed, it just needs a different framing. That's it.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
06-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Looking for general feedback. I know the blurred writing is distracting but other than that looking for suggestions.
This is the back of a very old womens silver pocket watch about 45mm in diameter that has been in my family since it was purchased new.
F/8
ISO 100
4s

My camera bag was behind the watch but decided to partially bail on so it uncovered the writing on the black shoe box. I do plan on constructing a proper backdrop and surface for doing this in the future so I am aware of that issue.
Very nice, but as the object is a bit dark, why not use a lighter basement?
07-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #11

I like the pic, just would like some more post processing. Maybe more saturated yellows to make the gold pop and some more brightening the shadows. give it a try!
07-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by donpjt Quote
Maybe more saturated yellows to make the gold pop and some more brightening the shadows
It isn't a gold watch, it is actually sterling silver that has a pretty good patina on it that was illuminated with some tungsten colored bulbs (warm CFLs) and a flash bounced off an off white ceiling.
08-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

F/8
ISO 100
4s

I like the lighting and detail.
08-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

F/8
ISO 100
4s

Wow that's beautiful! Perhaps if you reduce the temperature a bit, we'll get to see the real colour!
08-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
Perhaps if you reduce the temperature a bit, we'll get to see the real colour!
That is pretty much the real color. I dare not polish it because that does take away some value. Sterling silver will get a yellowish then black patina, and after 161 years it has had time to develop a good patina.