Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HDR vs LDR
Lens: DA 35mm f/2.4 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Under the Hwy 77 bridges ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F11 

Two pictures here from about a month ago. The first one I guess I would call a happy accident. I was loading one of the raw files into photoshop and had adjusted the contrast and clarity up some and was adjusting the black level when my kids were running around and hit my chair. The slider ended up way over on the right and I kind of liked it so I kept it. I usually don't try to do a lot of adjustments like that but figured why not and turned up the contrast and clarity more as well.

The second one is the default development of the HDR image take at about the same time with the same base settings. The sky colors are pretty accurate in this one.
Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Comments?

Very Low Dynamic Range:

High Dynamic Range (-2, 0, +2 with an EV adjustment of +1.3):

06-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

LDR is more moody, and I like it. It may be a bit too dark between the bridges though.
06-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I like the LDR version more, but what if you combined its look with the increased dynamic range in the second, to make it more dramatic?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The first one has 3/4 of the image with out of gamut blacks. IMHO, that is just too much and not enough sky for me to ignore that big, black void dominating the scene. And what lines the image has from the bridge takes me no where. In the second one the orange is off and not natural on my monitor.

06-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If I just go by the feelings LDR has more punch than HDR image. If I analyse from DR angle then HDR one is good

Try Fusion(Enfuse). It may give more balanced output because it uses best among existing stack of pixels; where as Tone mapping drastically modifies the pixel.
06-13-2018, 04:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop the bridges from the HDR image onto the sky of the LDR
06-13-2018, 06:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Photoshop the bridges from the HDR image onto the sky of the LDR
Seems like a reasonable idea, but instead of doing that I would probably just develop the first image twice, once to get the mood of the sky and clouds in the first, and a second time for the bridges and space between them. Then it becomes a really simple task of masking as everything will be lined up correctly. I may give that a go when I get home.

06-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the drama of the LDR sky. Combine the bridges of the second into that one.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
06-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #9
Forum Member

I usually like the silhouette effect, but over half of the ldr is completely black. I vote hdr on this one,
06-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really like the LDR as is.
06-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
In the second one the orange is off and not natural on my monitor.
I have yet to take a HDR image where some set of the colors don't end up off which is why I don't take many. This is probably user error because I haven't gotten around to making a real effort to learn and gain competence in the technique.
« Lemmolime | Bench »