Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Here is another interesting object. Some of the inner workings of an old Elgin 19 jewel wrist watch. The watch face is slightly larger than a quarter and this image covers about 1/6 of the area.
The setup on the camera was a the #1 pentax M42 extension tube with a M42 to 49mm filter reversing adapter with the 28mm SMC Takumar lens on the end. A flash from above was used to provide the necessary illumination.

Looking for a general critique on technique and/or composition.

For those who are too young and don't know what is meant by jewels in watches it is in reference to some of the bearings used. These bearings were made typically out of sapphire or ruby as the provided a very hard, low friction, and dimensionally stable surface which all go a long way to improving the reliability and accuracy of mechanical watches. A fully jeweled watch would have 17 jeweled bearings but as time progressed watch makers found that it made a good advertising point so the counts kept increasing with no actual benefit in overall performance or reliability. In this picture I believe there are 5 jewels one being a cap with another under it.
Nice shot. Though one only can see 1/6 of the area, one can imagine how diffucult it is to make these wristwatches. Very fine mechanics.
I love thes macro-shots.

07-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very awesome! I wouldn't change a thing.
07-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #18

Here is another interesting object. Some of the inner workings of an old Elgin 19 jewel wrist watch. The watch face is slightly larger than a quarter and this image covers about 1/6 of the area.
The setup on the camera was a the #1 pentax M42 extension tube with a M42 to 49mm filter reversing adapter with the 28mm SMC Takumar lens on the end. A flash from above was used to provide the necessary illumination.

For those who are too young and don't know what is meant by jewels in watches it is in reference to some of the bearings used. These bearings were made typically out of sapphire or ruby as the provided a very hard, low friction, and dimensionally stable surface which all go a long way to improving the reliability and accuracy of mechanical watches. A fully jeweled watch would have 17 jeweled bearings but as time progressed watch makers found that it made a good advertising point so the counts kept increasing with no actual benefit in overall performance or reliability. In this picture I believe there are 5 jewels one being a cap with another under it.
nice macro shot!
07-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #19
Forum Member

Beautiful shot, I like the lighting alot. I found the DoV a little distracting

07-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I am a fan of vintage mechanical watches. Your shot captures some of the intricacy very well. For my eye the focus is exactly where it should be.
07-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nmcleod1993 Quote
Beautiful shot, I like the lighting alot. I found the DoV a little distracting
It is really hard to get a deep DoF with a 2:1 macro, even when stopping things down. I probably could have stopped it down to f/16 but then it becomes an even harder shot. I have taken some of the advice from others here and have tried focus stacking but this seems like one of those images where things go sideways fast. I was using the SMC takumar 55mm f/1.8 on 112mm of extension tubes for a 2:1 macro there but there was just so much focus breathing going from front to back that there were fairly noticeable halos around everything.
08-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Nice detail! I love mechanical watches

08-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Nice detail! I love mechanical watches
I do too and have played around trying to shoot it different ways including attempting focus stacking but things always go astray. Especially when doing focus stacking. Does anyone have tips of doing it with something with as complex focal plane as this?