Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #1

Overprocessed or not? Divided opinions
Lens: Tamron 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 (IF) Macro 62mm Camera: Pentax K-m Photo Location: Barcelona ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F6.3 

Hi!

I'm still cruising around the forum, and i found this subforum. I entered, and instantly a topic crossed my mind.
I'm processing some photos i took with my K-m, and altough the girl pictured told me she liked the photo a whole lot, some other people said me the photo is all but good. Even they said me i oversaturated the photo, without knowing i even touched that setting, but now i'm in doubt.

This one is the original:

And this one is the processed one:

I overexposed the background on purpose to give it a dramatic effect, but i don't feel is that much overprocessed. What do you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo 
06-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First I think the somber mood works better with somber colors. If thats an airplane about to crash and shes praying I would go for harsher light. Dramatic light and somber are hard to pull off.
2 general points. I like the unprocessed more because the line of light on the nose is distracting to me. I do like the stray hair vanishing in front of her though. I might pull the dark up to give the hair a little more definition.
There is a few thoughts.
06-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the unprocessed one better, I feel her forehead and cheek are too severe. Women tend to want pores minimized not emphasized.
06-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
I like the unprocessed one better, I feel her forehead and cheek are too severe. Women tend to want pores minimized not emphasized.
I thought that too looking the photo again and again. Actually has been like one week with this in mind.

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
First I think the somber mood works better with somber colors. If thats an airplane about to crash and shes praying I would go for harsher light. Dramatic light and somber are hard to pull off.
2 general points. I like the unprocessed more because the line of light on the nose is distracting to me. I do like the stray hair vanishing in front of her though. I might pull the dark up to give the hair a little more definition.
There is a few thoughts.
I don't really understand this, and seems a very valuable input. I guess i should equalize the photo because of such hard contrast, right?
Also i may test with that stray hair, too, at first i wasn't very positive with it but idk.

Thanks for this tips!

06-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't know about equalize. In the second the nose is black and white where it had great tonality in the first. The hair in the top right is gone, i like tha fade to black but it's more of the frame than i prefer. Up the shadows or blacks might reduce that w/o effecting too much else.
06-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I like the processed version, I don’t think it fits the mood of the photo. We tend to associate harsh or direct lighting, such as the processed one, with male figures. And the softer lighting, such as the original is, with female figures. The other point, brought up earlier, is the somber mood, which is elicited by the camera angle and what we see of her expression. The harsher lighting from the processed photo is in direct contrast to the somber emotions. I think it’s a great shot either way.