Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sunset close-up
Lens: DA 16-85 Camera: K-3II ISO: 100 

Looking forward to feedback, I'm on the fence about keeping it. I feel there's too much empty space in the center and the lower right side. Thanks

07-03-2018, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice use of the wood balanced with soft forest beyond.
07-03-2018, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree there is a lot of space. I guess it depends on your needs as to whether it is a keeper or not.
07-04-2018, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Looking forward to feedback, I'm on the fence about keeping it. I feel there's too much empty space in the center and the lower right side. Thanks

You're right about the empty space, but if you could lighten it up a little bit, it might be want you want?

07-04-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crop?
07-04-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's almost like I am looking at two separate pictures, each with their own redeeming qualities. The dark pathway heading into the sunbeams is quite nice as is the texture of the old wood. I feel like this may have worked from a slightly different angle...more wood less path.
07-04-2018, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm there's something missing, I like the lines pointing to the right side of the frame from the wood that connect both sides (light and shadows) with the parallelism of the lines of the path.

Maybe a different point of view could have worked better for me; it's not clear what's the point of interest, is it the wood or the path? or neither?

I would keep it and check it again after a few months =) Time has all the answers.

Thanks for sharing!

07-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you need to give the picture some meaning, purpose and balance and the abundance of all that black nothingness doesn't do it. You might as well just put the well lit rock in the middle of the picture.

The way I see it it the rock needs a viable background to harmonise with, it can be dark enough so it does not detract from the rock but it must be visible.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:48 PM.
10-02-2019, 06:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The tones are nice and I like the contrast between the wood in the foreground and the soft atmospheric mood of the background, but Im missing the connection between these two elements. This is probably what you're referring to with the empty space in the center. I'm not sure whether lightening it up would work.
10-19-2019, 05:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely a daring composition, but one that may actually work if you afford the path and the wayside a tad more exposure and accentuate the smaller detail on the ground near the log a bit more. That way you could probably promote those parts of the image from negative space, or in fact something the viewer is not sure about, to areas of interest that lead the eye to the setting sun in the upper-right corner. With many viewers, that sort of image will be a love-or-hate thing, but I think with a little work this could be a keeper.
« Vertigo | Reenactor »