Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2018, 05:06 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Secluded Waterfall

I would like some feedback on how I could improve this image, specifically the composition and exposure.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-08-2018, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the ethereal water. Not knowing the surroundings I'm not sure what other framing you could have used so I have nothing specific to say about that. The exposure seems good particularly the movement in the water and the general tones.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 07-09-2018 at 07:32 AM.
07-08-2018, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #3

Nice photo, maybe a touch more saturation on the leaves
07-08-2018, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks exactly as you would see it in real life, beautiful.
Wouldn't change a thing

Greg

07-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
There is no like icon, other wise I would.
Regards.
07-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you have made a pretty good shot. Nothing to add.
07-09-2018, 05:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps zoom out just a bit, get more of the water in top left...hard to say without knowing what was there. Technically ? You got it. Doesn't hurt to experiment with different exposures, nd filters etc to see what effects you can get. Like the shot.

07-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Overall, a nice shot. But like Mallee Boy I feel the top left feels chopped off. Now this could have been:
(1) something up there that detracted from the photo.
(2) ran out of zoom at the wide end ( I note the exif is at the 16mm end of the lens)
(3) creative choice
(4) oops, didn't notice at the time.

If it was a lack of wide angle field of view a panorama composite could have been a possible solution.
07-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,
There is no like icon, other wise I would.
Regards.
That's odd. I see one. Check with Adam maybe?
07-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a decent shot but like others mentioned I don't know what else you were working around, but if possible I might have done it differently by:
Moving the main falls part out of the center of the frame to the 1/3, probably by panning right so the water flows "into" the composition..
Not cutting off that upper left part of the falls.
Less dark shadowy area on the lower left, which should also give more nice green foliage.

All that being said there isn't anything really wrong with it as-is, but IMO those things I listed could have made it better.
07-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. You have given me some helpful suggestions. As far as the crop on the upper left, there was only a solid wall of rock on my left side, so all I could have gotten from that location on the left was solid rock. There was a possibility that I could have found a point a little farther downstream and got a different perspective. This area is very rough wilderness, though and it was hard to move around. That is the part of the photo that bothers me too. As far as the saturation on the leaves, the original shot in the my pictures folder has a lot more pop. I was a little disappointed to see what it looked like on my post. Have any of you had trouble with your photos looking different when you post them here as compared to how they look on your computer?
07-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
As far as the saturation on the leaves, the original shot in the my pictures folder has a lot more pop. I was a little disappointed to see what it looked like on my post. Have any of you had trouble with your photos looking different when you post them here as compared to how they look on your computer?
I have noticed that as well. A few of the photos I have posted look very flat compared with how they look when viewed directly
07-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you all for your input. You have given me some helpful suggestions. As far as the crop on the upper left, there was only a solid wall of rock on my left side, so all I could have gotten from that location on the left was solid rock. There was a possibility that I could have found a point a little farther downstream and got a different perspective. This area is very rough wilderness, though and it was hard to move around. That is the part of the photo that bothers me too. As far as the saturation on the leaves, the original shot in the my pictures folder has a lot more pop. I was a little disappointed to see what it looked like on my post. Have any of you had trouble with your photos looking different when you post them here as compared to how they look on your computer?
If you upload to the forum you get a reduced size and quality picture. You can also use a photo sharing site like Flickr and then post the BBCODE link here to preserve the size and quality to a degree but even there they can downgrade quality some.
07-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #14

I know you are looking for feedback. But I would like to tell you that this photo is amazing!!!
07-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would like some feedback on how I could improve this image, specifically the composition and exposure.
Really nice shot! Well done! For me, I think it's slightly under exposed, but I really like where the blacks are for the ring under the cliff. Honestly its a great shot!