Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #1

The church
Lens: DA 18-135 WR Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Belleville, Rhone Alpes, France ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F13.5 

This is the rear side of the local church, probably the most impressive building around here. Was renovated last year and I always found it has a warm white color in the sun so wanted to capture this.

I would like to ear from you what you would have done differently, what I can improve. But feel free to comment on how to shoot buildings from the streets in general as well

Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by beno; 07-12-2018 at 10:50 AM.
07-16-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beno Quote
This is the rear side of the local church, probably the most impressive building around here. Was renovated last year and I always found it has a warm white color in the sun so wanted to capture this.

I would like to ear from you what you would have done differently, what I can improve. But feel free to comment on how to shoot buildings from the streets in general as well

Thanks
All in all it is a nice shot, but try to walk a bit backward to get more of the building in the view. This will also help on the lines. In this case you could try to tilt the shot in PS or LR if you have access to that.
When that is said, I see a lot of details in the photo. Nice.
07-16-2018, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks
This is a good photograph of a very nice church - well done. Two alternative options may make this an even more interesting photograph.

To me the textures in the stonework of the tower with the rose window are worthy of attention and maybe turning the camera to portrait orientation, stepping back and to the right a bit and making the tower the entire subject, zoomed in to somewhere around 35mm to 50mm could have brought out the textures even more?

Alternatively I would try getting the base of the church into the scene, so it does not look like it is floating above the ground?

Also, if this church is easy for you to get to often, maybe it would be worthwhile capturing images from say mid-day to sunset to see how the shadows play out with the textures and architecture. I think this could be an interesting project for you.
07-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
All in all it is a nice shot, but try to walk a bit backward to get more of the building in the view. This will also help on the lines. In this case you could try to tilt the shot in PS or LR if you have access to that.
When that is said, I see a lot of details in the photo. Nice.
Thank you, I could probably get a few more steps backs but not very far away it was take from the sidewalk just across the street. What I tried in LR is the lens correction profile to fix the lines but I didnt like the result it felt unnatural, maybe I should watch again and see if there are option to correct only slightly the wide angle effect.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
Alternatively I would try getting the base of the church into the scene, so it does not look like it is floating above the ground?
Definitely agreed with that, unfortunately there are cars parked in the street that would ruin the picture imo

To me the textures in the stonework of the tower with the rose window are worthy of attention and maybe turning the camera to portrait orientation, stepping back and to the right a bit and making the tower the entire subject, zoomed in to somewhere around 35mm to 50mm could have brought out the textures even more?
Also, if this church is easy for you to get to often, maybe it would be worthwhile capturing images from say mid-day to sunset to see how the shadows play out with the textures and architecture. I think this could be an interesting project for you.
Its worth trying I think I'll go back when possible to try with different orientations and framing, also test case with the SMC-PENTAX A 28mm/2.8 I just received to see if the colors render differently.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, I really appreciate it

07-18-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Sorry for all this
Loyal Site Supporter

A complex building to shoot; so many possibilities. The lighting is very good and it's not a bad shot as it captures many of the key aspects of the building; it just seems like there is something missing, like another angle might really make it pop
07-19-2018, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photo of the Church, Archetypercture is interested and like it with Artistic composition as well. Thank you and Shared. Cheers
08-08-2018, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks
Very nice one!
08-08-2018, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is an interesting church and gives a lot of opportunities.

As it was already suggested above - you can try to move away a bit if it is possible. Even if you have to capture some nearby buildings, cars or people. In fact - you can try to include some people in the photo. To "compose" a story. In the end - this is a church, it is supposed to be visited, so it will feel natural if you make a composition showing not only the church, but also its visitors (or even the people who will never visit it and will just walk by).

The other option is to focus on the details. Almost every church has a lot of different ornaments, symbols etc. You can try to show them in more detail, but also representing the whole scene. Again, you can incorporate someone in such photo.

I also would suggest to try and shoot it again later in the day, or early in the morning. First of all - the light and the shadows will be almost horizontal (golden hour). This way - you can create more dramatic picture. And the second thing is that there will be more people around (going to work or back home) if you decide to include them in the composition. In such scenarios - you can use ND filter and slower shutter speed to show people passing by the church (or something like that).

As a bottom line - you have a lot of options, you just need to explore them.

08-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p0pa Quote
It is an interesting church and gives a lot of opportunities.

As it was already suggested above - you can try to move away a bit if it is possible. Even if you have to capture some nearby buildings, cars or people. In fact - you can try to include some people in the photo. To "compose" a story. In the end - this is a church, it is supposed to be visited, so it will feel natural if you make a composition showing not only the church, but also its visitors (or even the people who will never visit it and will just walk by).

The other option is to focus on the details. Almost every church has a lot of different ornaments, symbols etc. You can try to show them in more detail, but also representing the whole scene. Again, you can incorporate someone in such photo.

I also would suggest to try and shoot it again later in the day, or early in the morning. First of all - the light and the shadows will be almost horizontal (golden hour). This way - you can create more dramatic picture. And the second thing is that there will be more people around (going to work or back home) if you decide to include them in the composition. In such scenarios - you can use ND filter and slower shutter speed to show people passing by the church (or something like that).

As a bottom line - you have a lot of options, you just need to explore them.
Thanks for your suggestions, it's a good training subject I should try different takes (also, get a tripod probably)
08-30-2018, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think a pano, even if just 4 stitched pictures, would look great. I'd like to see the bottom of the building...