Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 02:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Greeting The Clouds
Lens: Samyang 35mm f/1.4 Camera: K-1 mk1 Photo Location: Huashan, China Aperture: F8 

While I usually approach landscape photography by avoiding fellow hominids like the plague, this scene appeared to me while hurriedly toiling away to the south peak of mt Hua (Huashan). Of course human element is pretty difficult to avoid on Chinese mountains as they get really crowded, but this time it didn't really bother me and the final image clicked.

It kind of reminds me of the painting by Caspar Friedrich (you know the one) so you could call it a personal tribute, if you will.

Any opinions on the theme, composition or otherwise? Basically the picture was developed with silver efex and I didn't not yet pixel peep or do any cleanup beyond that.

07-22-2018, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
While I usually approach landscape photography by avoiding fellow hominids like the plague, this scene appeared to me while hurriedly toiling away to the south peak of mt Hua (Huashan). Of course human element is pretty difficult to avoid on Chinese mountains as they get really crowded, but this time it didn't really bother me and the final image clicked.

It kind of reminds me of the painting by Caspar Friedrich (you know the one) so you could call it a personal tribute, if you will.

Any opinions on the theme, composition or otherwise? Basically the picture was developed with silver efex and I didn't not yet pixel peep or do any cleanup beyond that.
Nice shot....B&W is a nice choice. If I have to be critical, it would have been nice if the shot was tilted down a bit with less sky and more of the person and the bridge.
07-22-2018, 04:44 AM   #3

Well, in the landscape photography the human element can be used quite well. It can give some perspective (e.g. if you want to show how enormous a mountain is - you can place a person there in order to show the size differences). So in this picture - I think that the person actually gives some direction to the photo.

And in regards to the suggestions - I think it would be better of the person's leg was not "cut" - so either recompose a bit or you can wait for him to make one or two more steps further. The other option is for you to make one or two steps back. With 35mm - this should solve the problem.
And one last thing - in seems to me that the rock on the left should be less visible. It somehow distracts the viewer from the person.
07-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It's an interesting scene with the trees and boulders, and the sky is a nice element as well. I don't know if it was possible, but I would really like to see the path the man is walking on and his feet. For those reasons, I find it incomplete.

07-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for the feedback. It is thoughtful even by this forums' standards. I rarely include people in my pictures so framing is hardly as fluid or unconscious as otherwise (applies double for situations where the situation is fleeting).

Feedback is definitely appreciated and maybe next time I will actually try to consider _how_ I include the human element in the frame (and keep some rough guidelines in the back of my skull). For some reason I try not to cut off tree branches and clouds when framing.. maybe I should apply the same to people, I guess.

Good points on trying to include more path and too domineering cliff to the left. I don't completely remember the situation, but the paths were narrow and there was not much room to maneuver, however, I will definitely keep the points in mind.

Regards
07-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you all for the feedback. It is thoughtful even by this forums' standards. I rarely include people in my pictures so framing is hardly as fluid or unconscious as otherwise (applies double for situations where the situation is fleeting).

Feedback is definitely appreciated and maybe next time I will actually try to consider _how_ I include the human element in the frame (and keep some rough guidelines in the back of my skull). For some reason I try not to cut off tree branches and clouds when framing.. maybe I should apply the same to people, I guess.

Good points on trying to include more path and too domineering cliff to the left. I don't completely remember the situation, but the paths were narrow and there was not much room to maneuver, however, I will definitely keep the points in mind.

Regards
Always easier to crop than the alternative ;-)
07-23-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Always easier to crop than the alternative ;-)
There's always MS Paint amirite?

07-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's always MS Paint amirite?
07-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I usually approach landscape photography by avoiding fellow hominids like the plague
I once had the concept of "The ONE" explained to me by a Chinese photographer. Often a landscape will benefit by including one alternative element such as a human or an animal etc. A good example is a seascape that may include a boat or a yacht. It encapsulates the excitement of adventure, isolation and the human spirit of discovery. Us against the elements. Also street photography works in this way too.

This is why you image works so well.

May I suggest "The ONE" becomes a theme for PF photo competition in the future?

Maybe you should rethink avoiding Humanoids, they do have some endearing qualities? Haha
07-24-2018, 02:20 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I once had the concept of "The ONE" explained to me by a Chinese photographer. Often a landscape will benefit by including one alternative element such as a human or an animal etc. A good example is a seascape that may include a boat or a yacht. It encapsulates the excitement of adventure, isolation and the human spirit of discovery. Us against the elements. Also street photography works in this way too.

Maybe you should rethink avoiding Humanoids, they do have some endearing qualities? Haha
I wholeheartedly second the concept as it does provide something in the frame to either juxtapose or empathize with. I guess what it boils down to is my aversion to photographing people, and animals are notably more mercurial and difficult to get in the picture. I mean, for some reason the idea of printing out a picture with a stranger in the frame and hanging it on a wall weirds me out a bit.

As a tangent I really dig the aesthetic of the sublime which is related to this (the grandness and danger of nature etc.). I just tend to romanticize nature to an extent where I want to completely erase any human element that 'taints' the natural state or some such. *shrug*

Anyway, it's an opportunity for growth and I need to keep an eye out for the possibilities more and incorporating additional elements knowingly and purposefully in the pictures.
07-25-2018, 05:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote

I find (I think) that this can be achieved, in landscapes, using a plant or a very distinctive feature in the landscape. I think in your picture, the bridge may have been sufficient to provide balance....but humans work too

For example, I think the first image works well on it's own but the second image really benefits from a smiling face.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo