Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 11:53 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Opinion please?
Camera: K-1 

I like this picture, therefore from time to time I keep editing it different ways.
What do you think about this version? Frame or no frame? Or something else?

Attached Images

07-21-2018, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'd present as you've shown here, a fine image.
07-21-2018, 03:58 AM   #3
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I like this picture, therefore from time to time I keep editing it different ways.
This is a good image, well composed and thoughtfully presented.

Feedback?

The frame kind of works. I'd suggest looking at a vignette to replace the frame as this can blend into the image.

The blending into the image could work nicely as I think you're onto a good theme, but would if it was me, pursue a version that would work more with contrasting tones that would be darker and lighter based on the theme you've already got. In that I mean more of a spotlight effect on the key elements of the face and to a lesser extent the glass of wine and phone. Having said that though I think the face on the back of the phone needs some subtle emphasis too, not too much above the wine glass etc but enough to draw the eye along with the lady's face.

Beyond that the background elements would be darker with the final look a more contrasty noir scene similar to what you have but more punchy.

My 2c only of course but I hope you give it a whirl and if you do I hope you share it with us.

Tas
07-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
Forum Member

I love this shot with or without the frame. The only thing that distracts me a little is the dark area on the left side. I catch myself trying to figure out what it is. However it is a minor distraction and I really love the shot as is.

07-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mhrish Quote
I love this shot with or without the frame. The only thing that distracts me a little is the dark area on the left side. I catch myself trying to figure out what it is. However it is a minor distraction and I really love the shot as is.
The darker area is a man who walks by. It was dark, and it the speed was low. I found it's interesting, but I'm afraid it was lost when I applied the background layer.

---------- Post added 07-21-18 at 08:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
This is a good image, well composed and thoughtfully presented.

Feedback?

The frame kind of works. I'd suggest looking at a vignette to replace the frame as this can blend into the image.

The blending into the image could work nicely as I think you're onto a good theme, but would if it was me, pursue a version that would work more with contrasting tones that would be darker and lighter based on the theme you've already got. In that I mean more of a spotlight effect on the key elements of the face and to a lesser extent the glass of wine and phone. Having said that though I think the face on the back of the phone needs some subtle emphasis too, not too much above the wine glass etc but enough to draw the eye along with the lady's face.

Beyond that the background elements would be darker with the final look a more contrasty noir scene similar to what you have but more punchy.

My 2c only of course but I hope you give it a whirl and if you do I hope you share it with us.

Tas
Got it, thanks. I did not want to do that so obviously, but maybe I should. Will try it next time.

---------- Post added 07-21-18 at 08:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'd present as you've shown here, a fine image.
Thank you. We had so much fun playing with my new K-1, only then I realized that it's actually cool picture )))
07-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the mood and what you've done with the background. Just a shame about the wine glass, if it was a tad to the right it would be perfect
07-22-2018, 04:32 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I like it, Lana.

Would have been interesting if you had asked the guy to look at the woman as he walked by.

It would then get a narrative lift.

07-22-2018, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #8

I like how the destiny of Frida (the picture on the back of the phone) matches her own expression.
07-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The frame is alright - it couls even go without. The picture is very nice. You have focus on the girl and the glass of wine, telephone, hand ... but everything else is blurred out - which makes your eyes - and mine - focus on the subject. Very nice job indeed ;-)
07-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #10

I love the photo, it produce the effect of the ambience, when you observe it,
thanks for posting.
Tony V.
07-25-2018, 09:42 PM   #11

My gut instinct is a little too thick of a frame. Great photo.
07-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very well done, the frame gives the impression of something observed through a window, I would be delighted with it if it was mine.
07-27-2018, 06:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

In my opinion I would not frame it. It is not that it doesn't look good, but the photo itself has a inner frame build by the space around the bar and the table on the bottom.
I really like the isolation of the subject, as there is many parts of this photo but one can clearly see the woman, the phone and the glass of wine.

I also like it as there certainly are emotions on the picture but I do not see a clear one set of them, but the composition build a more complex mix of them.

great job
07-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting perspective. I like the subjects (wine glass and girl) in focus while the walking man is blurred. I do think, however, that the wine glass is too large and takes away from the effect just a little. But, that's just me.
07-28-2018, 05:34 AM   #15

Excellent shot, the guy in the background is pretty surreal !