Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The view from Indian Mounds park
Lens: 28mm SMC Takumar Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Saint Paul ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F11 

Indian Mounds regional park in St. Paul minnesota about 45 minutes after sunset.
This is the picture I wanted to enter last month for rivers and fjords but hadn't taken it yet.

If you go for a sunset picture I do suggest staying well after the sun has gone below the horizon. If there are other people up there taking pictures they go away within about 5 minutes of sun down and they miss the color change in the river. Also there are a lot of potheads up there but they keep to themselves and mostly just stay in their car.

08-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shot. But the interest for me is in where it was taken from. It makes me wonder what it would have looked like when the mounds were in use.
08-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shot. But the interest for me is in where it was taken from. It makes me wonder what it would have looked like when the mounds were in use.
A lot has changed up there over the years. The area was first explored in the early 1700s and there use to be a cave under there. It isn't too far from Fort Snelling which is south of it so there may be some wood cuts or other drawing from that period that would show it mostly unchanged. However in the latter parts of the 1800s a lot of changes happened with St. Paul being established, and the railroad and docks being put in. The area where the road and rail road currently are was blasted out of the bluff which destroyed the cave that was there. If one continues down Mounds Blvd. to where the old aviation navigation beacon is there are still several mound there.
08-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice one!