Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should I have shot this lower?
Lens: 50mm SMC Takumar Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Hastings, MN ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F5.6 

Yesterday I shot this at Vermillion Falls park in Hastings, MN. It is the stairs that lead up and away from the falls area and after seeing the image I almost feel that I should have shot it from a lower perspective and a bit more to the right to get some more of the stairs.

08-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's difficult to tell without being there, but I think I'd have got closer to the steps and used a wider angle lens, and perhaps got a little closer to the ground... But as I said, it's really difficult to know without judging the scene for one's self
08-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's difficult to tell without being there, but I think I'd have got closer to the steps and used a wider angle lens, and perhaps got a little closer to the ground... But as I said, it's really difficult to know without judging the scene for one's self
What he said.

I’ve been in similar situations, and these things can stand or fall on where the steps are leading, or indeed, what you can see of it. Frequently, when shooting upwards in the shade, you can also encounter strong light at the top, which can be a plus if handled correctly, but which can render the whole scene difficult to impossible to capture.
08-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
What he said.

I’ve been in similar situations, and these things can stand or fall on where the steps are leading, or indeed, what you can see of it. Frequently, when shooting upwards in the shade, you can also encounter strong light at the top, which can be a plus if handled correctly, but which can render the whole scene difficult to impossible to capture.
Strong light really isn't a problem it has been very overcast here the past 2 days, but even then the brightness of the clouds can be overwhelming when it peeks through a thick canopy.

08-08-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
szs

I agree with the first answer partially. A viewpoint closer to the ground, maybe even a few cm above the ground might have resulted in a more interesting foreground.
08-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Definitely would have got lower. It would create some nice lines and lead you into the image.
08-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Yesterday I shot this at Vermillion Falls park in Hastings, MN. It is the stairs that lead up and away from the falls area and after seeing the image I almost feel that I should have shot it from a lower perspective and a bit more to the right to get some more of the stairs.
Tough shot really as there is not a lot to work with. Maybe focusing on the railing a little more...like eliminate the top 50% of the foliage

10-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I almost feel that I should have shot it from a lower perspective
Yes, but not by much. At 50mm the stairs look kind of flat. Maybe same location 1 feet down, and shot at 85mm?