Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 12:58 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Balloon at sunrise
Lens: da18-135 Camera: KP Photo Location: Milawa Victoria ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F9 

I am in two minds about this one.
Balloon launch with rising sun behind fog behind the balloon.
I have overblown the sun, and the sky is a bit queer with the line of the fog/sky going out at angles from the balloon.
What do others think?

08-10-2018, 01:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I have overblown the sun, and the sky is a bit queer with the line of the fog/sky going out at angles from the balloon.
What do others think?

I love this photo! The overblown sun makes this image dramatic like a cosmic blast in the background. Great framing and the fog with the backlit and the sun rays on the people and the balloon add to the photo. Very good job! I opened the image on Flickr too and commented. If you want me to comment on what I would change to this beautiful image, I would remove the white tires (especially the closest one) and the rope that draw distract the eye from the main theme.

PS: Although I prefer colour this would also make a beautiful B&W image

Thanks for uploading!
08-10-2018, 03:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for you generous comments Pete.
Cheers.
08-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I think it's excellent and the only possile critique I can think of is that the horizon may not be completely straight. Having shot balloons at sunrise myself I know how hard it can be, especially against the light, but here you've got a great balance bringing colour and atmosphere together.

08-10-2018, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Jonathan.
The horizon is a nuisance isn't it?!!
I often have to rotate ocean horizons a little, but I think this one does actually slope a bit.
If I had seen your post earlier, I could have double checked today, because I was out at Brown Bros winery (where the balloon launch was in June) having a birthday lunch with my wife and friends!
08-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

What do others think?

A shot to be admired endlessly.
08-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I like it a lot. It’s got a great atmosphere and dynamic feeling to it, with the figures watching and the balloon rising from the fog. Great capture and processing!

08-10-2018, 06:58 PM   #8

dreamy and im focused on the ballon
08-11-2018, 01:45 AM   #9
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That works! It's a great pic.
08-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #10

It's a lovely image for sure, I only wish the balloon on the left wasn't in frame otherwise I couldn't fault it!
08-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #11

It is a great shot!
There are only two suggestions from my side:
The first one is to rotate a bit the photo, as it seems to me that it is not exactly horizontal.
The second one is not exactly a suggestion - the photo would be a bit better if there was only one balloon. The balance is lost because of the one on the left. Not sure if it was possible to overcome this during the shot (probably if you were a bit closer?). You can try cropping the photo and see how it looks. Square crop or even vertical might be a good idea (especially that there are not so many people on the right).

In regards to the two lines - I think they outline the direction of the balloon, so I think they are not a concern.
08-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments everyone.
And thanks also for the helpful stuff.
08-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p0pa Quote
It is a great shot!
There are only two suggestions from my side:
The first one is to rotate a bit the photo, as it seems to me that it is not exactly horizontal.
The second one is not exactly a suggestion - the photo would be a bit better if there was only one balloon. The balance is lost because of the one on the left. Not sure if it was possible to overcome this during the shot (probably if you were a bit closer?). You can try cropping the photo and see how it looks. Square crop or even vertical might be a good idea (especially that there are not so many people on the right).

In regards to the two lines - I think they outline the direction of the balloon, so I think they are not a concern.
Yes, but cropping would remove a large number of the people seen through that morning fog, including the closest group to the camera, and they add a lot to the atmosphere.
08-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It gives me the feeling of fall in the fog, but it is great! I think it is level since the balloon appears to be vertical. I would put up a vertical line on the balloon seam and if it matches, ignore the horizon comments. The balloon is going to be vertical since there is obviously no wind.
08-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #15

What do others think?

totally unique...i like it, depicts the atmosphere very well.