Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
Like the color tone of this one. Great sharpness. I haven't really thought much of pixel-shift or how well it work, since i don't have it, but this looks really good.

10-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
congratulations. I need to try. so far I was not that lucky with nature shots and pixelshift
10-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
congratulations. I need to try. so far I was not that lucky with nature shots and pixelshift
I tried quite some already- works surprisingly well also in situations, where I thought it might cause problems- slightly moving trees in wind for example...only thing where I really notice artefacts so far is moving waters...but I usually also always take a 'backup'-shot without, to make sure ...
10-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An Intensely-beautiful image, and a highly-successful Pixel Shift test to boot. (Commendably, you opted for a high-opacity watermark, although I would have gone without as to not interfere with the appreciation of the image.)

10-13-2019, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Great result for you with the pixelshift.
10-13-2019, 05:39 AM   #21

Could you share the motion mask that RawTherapee can display? It's under Raw > Demosaicing > Method: Pixel Shift: > [x] Show motion mask

Thanks
10-14-2019, 05:07 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
Could you share the motion mask that RawTherapee can display? It's under Raw > Demosaicing > Method: Pixel Shift: > [x] Show motion mask

Thanks
if I find the time to do so- but fun thing on this shot- I didn’t even use raw- therapy on it, this one is straight out of lightroom...while f.e. moving water usually results in (mostly greenish) artefakts to my experience- haze like in this shot doesn‘t give any troubles...

10-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by sealight Quote
if I find the time to do so- but fun thing on this shot- I didn’t even use raw- therapy on it, this one is straight out of lightroom...while f.e. moving water usually results in (mostly greenish) artefakts to my experience- haze like in this shot doesn‘t give any troubles...
LR, RT and the K-1 all come with different motion correction implementations. I'm wondering which one does best with this scene/ long exposure.
10-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
LR, RT and the K-1 all come with different motion correction implementations. I'm wondering which one does best with this scene/ long exposure.
okay...then I haven't been comparing that much yet...while I already used pixelshift quite a lot- I mostly came up with quite good results...as written before- so far I mostly ran into some difficulties with moving water, other than that I mostly came up with good results using LR only- RT I've been only using on a few shots from some waterfall so far- I must admit I didn't spend much time in RT yet, so I'm not necessarily feel very comfortable using it- basically I just went over RT to get a TIFF, which then I further processed in LR (though to my feel the TIFF's after RT always colorwise felt bit strange in LR afterwards, but that's probably because I don't know much on about using RT ...)
haven't been using my K-1 II so far for any conversions, since I usually just shoot RAW...
what actually kinda surprised me- I did quite a large panorama this summer- a 13 shots stich- and since it wasn't exactly windstill it took me bit by surprise how well it turned out in LR...

Last edited by sealight; 10-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.
10-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
so- I hope I did this right now, lol... had to fight a bit, since RT isn't fully compatible yet to my latest OS

---------- Post added 10-14-19 at 12:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The Flickr settings say 30 seconds, ISO 200. With pixelshift, was that a total of 120 seconds for all 4 shots?

I wonder how a 60 second, ISO 100 non-pixelshift shot would look compared to your sample.
now- like a year later- I see your posting...well, yes- it was 4x 30secs...
on your second question- couldn't answer that- I only took a 30sec- capture at ISO 100 without pixelshift that day- basically right before I went for the one using pixelshift

---------- Post added 10-14-19 at 12:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
An Intensely-beautiful image, and a highly-successful Pixel Shift test to boot. (Commendably, you opted for a high-opacity watermark, although I would have gone without as to not interfere with the appreciation of the image.)
thank you!

well- I started using a watermark after I found some company using some of my shots without giving me the photocredits in a facebook-posting...I wouldn't have minded them sharing my original posting, but basically they just used them without even having asked...
usually I'm not exactly a big fan of watermarks either...
Attached Images

10-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by sealight Quote
so- I hope I did this right now, lol... had to fight a bit, since RT isn't fully compatible yet to my latest OS
Thanks! It's quite telling isn't it? The most noticeable difference with PS processing might be in the darker tree lines, since most dark stones are in the motion area. With that much motion LR/K-1 might just pick the first exposure for that region.

With RT, PS and non-PS rendering can be compared, just enable side-by-side comparison, "lock" the left side, and switch demosacing back to AMAZE, which will just use one exposure of the 4. Always view at 1:1. With PS dark areas should have noticeable less ISO noise.
10-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Great result for you with the pixelshift.
thank you Zooland!

---------- Post added 10-14-19 at 12:57 PM ----------

Thanks! It's quite telling isn't it? The most noticeable difference with PS processing might be in the darker tree lines, since most dark stones are in the motion area. With that much motion LR/K-1 might just pick the first exposure for that region.

With RT, PS and non-PS rendering can be compared, just enable side-by-side comparison, "lock" the left side, and switch demosacing back to AMAZE, which will just use one exposure of the 4. Always view at 1:1. With PS dark areas should have noticeable less ISO noise.
when switching through the single shots of this capture in RT I actually notice almost no significant changes, while it's a huge difference when switching back to AMAZE- on some shots from waterfalls I noticed way more differences (most noticable is the spray from the water)... on this shot I personally- on quick look now- couldn't tell, which shot LR actually might have picked - but stil I guess you're right...

can you tell how much of a difference it makes using pixelshift with or without enabled motioncorrection? while asking this- I actually on most captures wouldn't know which of the two modes I used...
12-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #28

Hey - I'm a little late to the party here. Awesome shot. I recently got camera with pixelshift but haven't had much time to play with it yet. Did you have to run this through DCU (siklypix or whatever) first, and then export a TIFF to open in lightroom for further editing? Or straight to lightroom? Wasn't sure if LR did a could job with PS shots straight from their raw files. Thanks!
12-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #29

What time of day was this taken? Pitch dark or dusk? It's an amazing effect, well executed! I catch think of anything I'd change aside from maybe moving the rock cluster focal point to one of the thirds instead of the center, but that's a bit of personal preference.
12-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ReneFisherPhoto Quote
What time of day was this taken? Pitch dark or dusk? It's an amazing effect, well executed! I catch think of anything I'd change aside from maybe moving the rock cluster focal point to one of the thirds instead of the center, but that's a bit of personal preference.
thank you Rene! well, guess you'd probably would call that best dusk...I took that shoot about half an hour after midnight, but since this is somewhere around the polar circle this is a time where you have still a lot of light all night through- the season of the midnight sun is probably just about over at that time
and yes, usually I also would put the rocks more somewhere on the thirds, but I guess in this case something left or right just didn't match my taste to frame it differently; another reason might be I took this with a 100mm lens, and probably couldn't go easily to a different position to take the photo from a slighty different angle (it's a bit swampy there )

---------- Post added 12-12-19 at 03:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eric3929 Quote
Hey - I'm a little late to the party here. Awesome shot. I recently got camera with pixelshift but haven't had much time to play with it yet. Did you have to run this through DCU (siklypix or whatever) first, and then export a TIFF to open in lightroom for further editing? Or straight to lightroom? Wasn't sure if LR did a could job with PS shots straight from their raw files. Thanks!
thank you Eric! this one is processed straight starting in LR...I have a few other shots, where I first made a TIFF in RawTherapy before further processing it in LR, because I noticed some some greenish fragments due to moving water in the frame when using only LR...
overall I must say pixelshift so far gives me really good results, even if there's bit of movement in the landscape- which I know can cause problems/ artefacts due to the way pixelshifting works- but this didn't hold me back trying it on various occassions so far...most artefacts I've gotten so far, when there's flowing water in my frame- even managed to get a pretty decent panoramastitch made of 13 single shots using pixelshift