Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 09:01 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Forum Member

testing Pixelshift with longer exposure
Lens: Pentax-D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8WR Camera: K-1 II Photo Location: Arjeplog ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F11 

this is one of my first shots using Pixelshift, I was curious how it turns out with longer exposure...

08-13-2018, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sealight Quote
this is one of my first shots using Pixelshift, I was curious how it turns out with longer exposure...
This is an incredible capture.
08-13-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

The colours and mood are very nice and the capture is ridiculously sharp, so I’d say that pixel shift works very nicely for longer exposures. Well done!
08-13-2018, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #4

Seems to be working very well indeed! Lovely shot, great colours and tonality. Can I ask if you did much post processing, exposure, shadows etc?

08-13-2018, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What a shot, moody misty really beautiful
08-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pero Quote
Seems to be working very well indeed! Lovely shot, great colours and tonality. Can I ask if you did much post processing, exposure, shadows etc?
thank you pero! I did a bit of post processing, but that's usual when you're shooting RAW...all the basic adjustments were done in lightroom- it's a little bit cropped, exposure in this case lowered, shadows a little bit brightened, WB adjusted...to 'finish' my edits I usually use one or two plugins from the nik-collection...overall I spent about 5-10mins time in edit...

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 06:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
This is an incredible capture.
thank you Photogoof!
08-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The Flickr settings say 30 seconds, ISO 200. With pixelshift, was that a total of 120 seconds for all 4 shots?

I wonder how a 60 second, ISO 100 non-pixelshift shot would look compared to your sample.

08-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
The colours and mood are very nice and the capture is ridiculously sharp, so I’d say that pixel shift works very nicely for longer exposures. Well done!
thank you HoutHans- in this case yes, guess, it was also good, supportive conditions for pixelshift- little to none wind...

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 06:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The Flickr settings say 30 seconds, ISO 200. With pixelshift, was that a total of 120 seconds for all 4 shots?

I wonder how a 60 second, ISO 100 non-pixelshift shot would look compared to your sample.
yes DeadJohn, overall I was standing over two minutes beside my tripod taking this shot! I do a bit more comparing the upcoming weeks- taking the same shot with and without Pixelshift, but so far it was a good entry- makes me confident trying it more often...

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 06:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
What a shot, moody misty really beautiful
thank you k1man!
08-14-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Ya, long exposures sometimes work with PS. Artifacts will be different type or visually hard to spot compared to typical short PS exposures with movement between frames. I often combine long exposure PS frame with normal frame and mask any artifacts with content from normal frame. RawTherapee has automatic masking BTW which works quite well. But it is not Lightroom.

Good thing is that usually rocks and other large mass objects do not move and pop nicely with extra sharpness.
08-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Ya, long exposures sometimes work with PS. Artifacts will be different type or visually hard to spot compared to typical short PS exposures with movement between frames. I often combine long exposure PS frame with normal frame and mask any artifacts with content from normal frame. RawTherapee has automatic masking BTW which works quite well. But it is not Lightroom.

Good thing is that usually rocks and other large mass objects do not move and pop nicely with extra sharpness.
kiitos MJKoski- yeah, that's what I'm trying to find out the upcoming time...I knew when taking this one I had quite 'supportive' conditions towards Pixelshift- as there was little to none wind blowing, the only thing I saw was moving haze...RawTherapee is already on my harddrive- but I didn't have time (or better- patience) to get into it, but I will probably the moment I have to first shot showing weird artifacts...
08-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome greens. I have some long exposures on water but haven't yet used the pixel shift mode yet. I think I should give it a go.
08-23-2018, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

very nice....prompts me to want to try this too!
08-30-2018, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Excellent shot!
08-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say it works very well! Nice and very crisp picture!
08-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What a beautiful image! The fog gives this image a new dimension! Love the composition! & the colors are beautiful too. A fine piece of editing!