Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 05:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

Tunnel

Experimenting with a more panoramic aspect ratio.

Also, a general question: if you're working on a collection of photos, be it for a book or website or Instagram or whatever, would you crop your photos to the aspect ratio that works best for each one individually or do you prefer a uniform ratio for coherence? I tend to stick to the standard 3:2 to keep the collection coherent but in some cases, such as this one, it would go at the expense of a better individual shot.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-16-2018, 02:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Roquefort Quote
Also, a general question: if you're working on a collection of photos, be it for a book or website or Instagram or whatever, would you crop your photos to the aspect ratio that works best for each one individually or do you prefer a uniform ratio for coherence?
I think that depends on where or how you present your pictures. If it was an exhibition I'd probably use the same aspect ration if possible (some pictures just don't work in different crops, others are not that restricted). Or if you have different aspect ratios try to get a somewhat equal number for each ratio and not just a single image that stands out of the rest, unless it is supposed to stand out.

For photobooks I usually have different aspect ratios but I try to alternate between those ratios in a recurring pattern, if the subject of the images allow that (avoiding thematic jumps between the images has priority over those patterns, but I sometimes use some images with other aspect ratios over others because they fit better into my recurring patterns).

For online presentation I only use flickr at the moment, for that I use whatever aspect ration works best for every individual image, although I usually post one or two images at a time and no associated image series.

As for your shown image I would crop the left side a little bit (somewhere in the middle of the bikeway). Because the tunnel is absorbing too much light for my taste.

Last edited by othar; 08-16-2018 at 03:06 AM.
10-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Also, a general question: if you're working on a collection of photos, be it for a book or website or Instagram or whatever, would you crop your photos to the aspect ratio that works best for each one individually or do you prefer a uniform ratio for coherence? I tend to stick to the standard 3:2 to keep the collection coherent but in some cases, such as this one, it would go at the expense of a better individual shot.
Would crop.
10-02-2019, 04:49 AM   #4
vtn

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Very good panoramic picture. Definitely one is to chose the aspect ratio that fits best for the comosition