Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2018, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The old generator
Lens: 28mm SMC Takumar Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Hastings, MN ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F8 

Here is the old generator for the mill in Hastings, MN. It is just below the dam and just above the falls. Didn't really know how best to frame it as the wall from the dam gets in the way but the equipment otherwise fit so nice in the frame. The part I found most fascinating was that I could read the clock in the shop there when fully zoomed in and the time showed about 7:47. I did push up the yellow and red saturation in curves some to bring out the color in the limestone, stains on the wall, and rust on the generator some more but other than that it is pretty much unchanged. I almost think I should shoot the generator tighter or maybe go to the right some and get a tight shot of the old switch gear to the left of it.

08-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
GRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice bit of history. Too much is simply removed without being recordedl
08-17-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Didn't really know how best to frame it as the wall from the dam gets in the way

I know the problem only too well. One more step to the left and you finish up in the drink or to the right and you fall off the cliff or...
Worst part is, people who look at your shot don't know this and you always feel you need to explain yorself for the less than optimal framing.

Nice shot I like these even though they probably don't make it framed for hanging on the wall but in 100 years they will be of historic value and then people start to recognise your effort, shame you won't be around though. (non of us will).

A couple of observations.
The generator is the main attraction in the shot (if I read you correctly) and it must show more detail. The image is underexposed and as soon as I cranked up the exposure to the correct level, wouldn't you believe it, the detail makes an appearance. Truly, this is all I did.

Overhanging tree branches in upper foreground always make an interesting addition as long as they don't steal from the main interest of the image. But again we are back to the same problem as in the first paragraph. Here however the problem is worse because there is too much motion blur which is attracting my gaze away from the generator. You must try to achieve motionless bokeh at the very least.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:51 PM.
08-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
A couple of observations.The generator is the main attraction in the shot (if I read you correctly) and it must show more detail. The image is underexposed and as soon as I cranked up the exposure to the correct level, wouldn't you believe it, the detail makes an appearance. Truly, this is all I did.
Overhanging tree branches in upper foreground always make an interesting addition as long as they don't steal from the main interest of the image. But again we are back to the same problem as in the first paragraph. Here however the problem is worse because there is too much motion blur which is attracting my gaze away from the generator. You must try to achieve motionless bokeh at the very least.
Additionally to the exposure increasement I added a slight crop. The motion blur of the leaves is not an issue for me, however the dark trunk of the tree was distracting for me.

Without knowing the location I already see two problems when photographing there:
1) When you go to the left (even if it was possible) the angular wall in the foreground would travel into the subject
2) To the right the tree would get in the way
So in my opinion no explaining of the framing necessary .

A closeup of the generator with a wide angle lens, or some detailed macro shots might be interessting at this location too.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed that the motion blur is rather distracting.
08-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
I know the problem only too well. One more step to the left and you finish up in the drink or to the right and you fall off the cliff or...
Worst part is, people who look at your shot don't know this and you always feel you need to explain yorself for the less than optimal framing.

Nice shot I like these even though they probably don't make it framed for hanging on the wall but in 100 years they will be of historic value and then people start to recognise your effort, shame you won't be around though. (non of us will).

A couple of observations.
The generator is the main attraction in the shot (if I read you correctly) and it must show more detail. The image is underexposed and as soon as I cranked up the exposure to the correct level, wouldn't you believe it, the detail makes an appearance. Truly, this is all I did.

Cheers
Thanks for the advise. I should be able to go back and make another attempt but on a less windy day. It is really hard getting it properly exposed with the building wall that gets washed out or the detail in the generator that is in the shadows. Maybe I should attempt a HDR image? Anyone have some suggestions on getting that to work as every time I have tried it the image looks over cooked instead of having a look more like this one which I think might work well here.

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 09:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Without knowing the location I already see two problems when photographing there:
1) When you go to the left (even if it was possible) the angular wall in the foreground would travel into the subject
2) To the right the tree would get in the way
So in my opinion no explaining of the framing necessary .

A closeup of the generator with a wide angle lens, or some detailed macro shots might be interessting at this location too.
There is room to move left or right but as you noted either the wall or the tree starts blocking more things. It may be worthwhile to split the shot into 2 with the generator as the main subject of one and the switch gear as the subject of the other and then allowing me to move to the best position for either.

Either of those would likely be difficult as the mill is fenced off and on the other side of the river and falls. I could get closer with any number of other lenses I own and more or less fill the frame with either the old generator or the old switch gear. I will probably go and bring my 55mm 28-70mm, 135mm 200mm and 300mm next time I am there and shoot all of them. I do want to try some HDR to see if I can get something that doesn't look over done but has good color and detail over the entire image.
08-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Maybe I should attempt a HDR image? Anyone have some suggestions on getting that to work as every time I have tried it the image looks over cooked instead of having a look more like this one which I think might work well here.
It can be done as HDR, but I think there is enough leeway when shooting RAW and you expose for the highlights. If the dark areas get too noisy after brightening them up, you can shoot additional pictures with the same settings from a tripod and stack them afterwards to reduce the noise in those areas.

I don't usually do HDRs (I actually tried them just twice), nevertheless I recommend clicking through some presets of the software and start playing around with the other regulators after you find a preset option that is close to how you want the picture to look.
08-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't usually do HDRs (I actually tried them just twice), nevertheless I recommend clicking through some presets of the software and start playing around with the other regulators after you find a preset option that is close to how you want the picture to look.
I usually don't either but some times there is a scene that I think might work well and give it a try and always seem to end up with the over done look.

If the dark areas get too noisy after brightening them up, you can shoot additional pictures with the same settings from a tripod and stack them afterwards to reduce the noise in those areas.
I have done that before and am very familiar with stacking as a technique. I usually take a pile off the tripod in-case I need/want to do such a thing. I just need to get better at post processing and Photoshop so I can keep things from going sideways.

---------- Post added 08-20-18 at 12:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GRB Quote
Nice bit of history. Too much is simply removed without being recordedl
This park adjoins another park and at the end of the trail is the ruins of the original mill in Hastings, MN. I haven't been down there since I got my digital so I should probably do that some time. The original mill is a hard shot to get as there isn't much space around it so you either go super wide or you have to stitch to get the image. Now that I have a digital stitching becomes a very viable option.

08-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

othar's edit/crop works very well I think. The picture was a good starting point.