Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #1

the fruit of summers labor
Lens: 100mm macro Camera: ks2 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F2.8 

Have I managed a good isolation of the subject? Hear is simalar one which is best????

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Last edited by dorightjaq; 08-19-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: to add a comparassion
08-19-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dorightjaq Quote
Have I managed a good isolation of the subject?
The subject is clearly isolated from the trees in the background, but the tree on the left side is in my opinion a little too close in relation to the dreamy bokeh of the rest of the forest.
Therefore I would either try to take the picture from another angle (without the tree) or crop the picture like I did as example.
I also straightened the horizon (at least it apears straight now). The trees in the back and the one on the left didn't grow straight and so the horizon in your picture seems odd, altough the closer tree seems to be aligned.

Another issue for me is that your suggested subject in the title (the fruit of summers labor) is not in focus in the picture, instead the leaves are sharp.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
08-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the critique..
08-19-2018, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dorightjaq Quote
thanks for the critique..
Don't get me wrong there are things I like too.
The complementary colors of the single red fruit in a overall greenish environment is a good subject.

I also like the color processing (It's naturally looking and not oversaturated).
Vignetting is a matter of individual taste, I usually don't use it a lot, but in your image it helps to emphasize the fruit in addition to the isolation of the tele lens.
And the aperture and your distance between subject and the trees in the back are just right to generate a interesting background. You can still guess that there are trees and that you are in a forest but they are unobscured enough to not distract from the fruit.

08-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
i appriciate the comments really....really....thanks
08-19-2018, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #6

I like the second of the two photos better.
08-30-2018, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not a big fan of rule-of-thirds-for-the-sake-of-rule-of-thirds so the 2nd shot is not my cup of tea. Too much empty space on the left, the flower is too close to the left side. Plus the dead branches in front also distract from the subject. For that reason I like the 1st shot better.

08-30-2018, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have to say almost. the little red fruit is almost in focus but not quite. When I was scrolling I found I like the first one as a square crop better than the portrait it is.

For the second one I would have but the leaves in the lower right instead of upper left but that is just me and I tend to naturally frame things like that. Although doing so would have eliminated the in-focus sticks from the frame which I think would help to isolate the subject.
08-31-2018, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #9

I prefer the first, since I really like the bokeh of the background forest, and the beautiful saturated greens.
08-31-2018, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I prefer the second one.