Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A friend of mine.
Lens: DA 40 XS Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Whitehorse, Yukon 

A portrait of a friend, looking forward to feedback.
F2.8, 1/400s, ISO 200.

08-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
A portrait of a friend, looking forward to feedback.
F2.8, 1/400s, ISO 200.
Well, look. The composition is wrong, Light is uninteresting. It's boring, but the guy is cute. )
08-23-2018, 11:56 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
Well, look. The composition is wrong, Light is uninteresting. It's boring, but the guy is cute. )
Yuri, instead of being so dismissive, how about offering some respectful, supportive and friendly advice on how it might be improved?

The composition is wrong... OK, how might you have composed the shot?

The light is uninteresting... OK, what sort of lighting should our member @betwert be looking for, or how could he best make use of what's available (time of day, direction, reflector, flash etc.)?

You find it boring... OK, what would make it interesting for you?

If we're going to critique Bert's photo as he's asked, let's try and give him something constructive, yes?
08-23-2018, 12:00 PM - 5 Likes   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I trust you got your money back... from the diplomatic charm school.

08-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yuri, instead of being so dismissive, how about offering some respectful, supportive and friendly advice on how it might be improved?

The composition is wrong... OK, how might you have composed the shot?

The light is uninteresting... OK, what sort of lighting should our member @betwert be looking for, or how could he best make use of what's available (time of day, direction, reflector, flash etc.)?

You find it boring... OK, what would make it interesting for you?

If we're going to critique Bert's photo as he's asked, let's try and give him something constructive, yes?
Do not you think that you interfere in our dialogue with the author of the picture? Why "disparaging" comments, I said something insulting?
Yes, I noticed that newcomers like me do not like it here))
In my country, this is called "doorman syndrome"

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 12:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I trust you got your money back... from the diplomatic charm school.
Is it a section of Сriticism or the Institute of Noble Maidens?)
Let the author of the photo tell me if my remark is offensive to him.)
08-23-2018, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@bertwert - I trust Yuri is going to come back with some helpful tips.

In the meantime, whilst I'm no portrait photographer... It's a perfectly decent shot, however:

I assume this was taken at a point in time within other activities, and wasn't something you could prepare for (time of day, lighting, etc.). I'm therefore also assuming that the DA40XS is what you had on your camera at the time? Finally, I assume you wanted to include that beautiful background of both the rocky outcrop and the water as part of the environmental context for your shot?

If those are accurate assumptions, I might have chosen to take the shot in landscape orientation... placing your friend's head and shoulders in the lower left third of the shot, and stepping back until you were able to get a little sky, all of the rocky terrain and perhaps a little of the water fitted in between the top and bottom of the frame. I might even have dropped the camera a little and pointed up towards your friend's face.

These are just my opinions, and they wouldn't necessarily result in a better shot - merely different, and it's how I might have been thinking in the situation

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-23-2018 at 12:26 PM.
08-23-2018, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Do not you think that you interfere in our dialogue with the author of the picture? Why "disparaging" comments, I said something insulting?
Yuri, as a moderator, I get to "interfere" when I believe someone's posts are (intentionally or unintentionally) not in the friendly and helpful spirit of these forums.

Yes, I noticed that newcomers like me do not like it here))
We have many, many newcomers (the majority, in fact) who develop a rapport with existing members and go on to become highly-valued contributors - friends, even. Typically, they show a little humility, consideration for others and a willingness to become part of a friendly group that has taken years to establish. One or two new members stir things up, sometimes unintentionally, and it's my job as a voluntary moderator here to help them integrate.

Your constructive opinions on the OP's photo and how he might improve it would be very welcome indeed

08-23-2018, 12:23 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Yuri Leo;

Your comments are not helpful in any way shape or form, you might as well have said "This picture is trash". I post in this section to receive constructive criticism, notice the word 'constructive'. Constructive criticism, as opposed to just criticism, helps the author (in this case me) to improve there image with recommendations. Plainly negative comments with no suggestions do not help me improve my photography, I'm here to learn. Mike's comments are wholly welcome as he is trying to improve this community and explain to you how to help others. I suggest you read these posts here before commenting further in this section of the forum: About the Photo Critique Section - PentaxForums.com and Example Guidelines for Critiquing - PentaxForums.com
08-23-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@bertwert - I trust Yuri is going to come back with some helpful tips.

In the meantime, whilst I'm no portrait photographer... It's a perfectly decent shot, however:

I assume this was taken at a point in time within other activities, and wasn't something you could prepare for (time of day, lighting, etc.). I'm there also assuming that the DA40XS is what you had on your camera at the time? Finally, I assume you wanted to include that beautiful background of both the rocky outcrop and the water as part of the environmental context for your shot?

If those are accurate assumptions, I might have chosen to take the shot in landscape orientation... placing your friend's head and shoulders in the lower left third of the shot, and stepping back until you were able to get a little sky, all of the rocky terrain and perhaps a little of the water fitted in between the top and bottom of the frame. I might even have dropped the camera a little and pointed up towards your friend's face.

These are just my opinions, and they wouldn't necessarily result in a better shot - merely different, and it's how I might have been thinking in the situation
Thanks for the help Mike, it was just a chance shot I took as we were walking along, I generally had the 40 on my camera with me when I was in town, a nice small package. I did want to include the background of water and rocky outcrop. I like how you're thinking with your suggestions, it never occurred to me to shoot in landscape orientation really (well, portrait orientation for portraits, right?). Thanks again.

Cheers.
08-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Let the author of the photo tell me if my remark is offensive to him.)
I believe you now have your reply.
08-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Thanks for the help Mike, it was just a chance shot I took as we were walking along, I generally had the 40 on my camera with me when I was in town, a nice small package. I did want to include the background of water and rocky outcrop. I like how you're thinking with your suggestions, it never occurred to me to shoot in landscape orientation really (well, portrait orientation for portraits, right?). Thanks again.
I'm not sure how much help it is, Bert... just an alternative view (but I always find those useful myself ).

Did you have a great time while you were away?? I'm guessing this shot was from your fairly recent trip?
08-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
Banned

Yuri, as a moderator, I get to "interfere" when I believe someone's posts are (intentionally or unintentionally) not in the friendly and helpful spirit of these forums.

We have many, many newcomers (the majority, in fact) who develop a rapport with existing members and go on to become highly-valued contributors - friends, even. Typically, they show a little humility, consideration for others and a willingness to become part of a friendly group that has taken years to establish. One or two new members stir things up, sometimes unintentionally, and it's my job as a voluntary moderator here to help them integrate.

Your constructive opinions on the OP's photo and how he might improve it would be very welcome indeed
When I see an interest, I always try to help. But your guardianship seems excessive to me, Mike.
The composition of the image is incorrect, because the lens is quite sharp, and there was no need to place the elements of the fence into the frame.
Here it would be appropriate to select the subject of photography and leave a distant background, vegetation in the distance and the rest.
08-23-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did you have a great time while you were away?? I'm guessing this shot was from your fairly recent trip?
It was from my recent trip, it was an awesome 7 weeks, thanks for asking
08-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

When I see an interest, I always try to help. But your guardianship seems excessive to me, Mike.
The moderating team as a whole tries to maintain community standards here for the benefit of all our members, Yuri. That may be quite different to other forums you've visited - it's certainly different to at least a couple I can think of No offence is meant, I assure you... It's just the way we do it here

The composition of the image is incorrect, because the lens is quite sharp, and there was no need to place the elements of the fence into the frame.
Here it would be appropriate to select the subject of photography and leave a distant background, vegetation in the distance and the rest.
This is great feedback, Yuri I'm sure Bert will appreciate it...

The only thing I'd say is (perhaps a little pedantically ), no composition is inherently "incorrect", since it's the choice of the photographer. But I'd agree that some of us might compose differently to Bert's original choice.
08-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here it would be appropriate to select the subject of photography and leave a distant background, vegetation in the distance and the rest
Thanks for that, more stuff to think over.
Cheers