Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another barn

I like this photo. What caught my eye while passing was the shadow of the windmill turning on the barn, I think the composition is fairly good. What bothers me is that it screams "POSTCARD" image. I may be suffering from an over abundance of rural stuff in Ohio Amish country. Any thoughts?

Attached Images

08-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You've chosen a good angle to take advantage of the light. My only suggestion would be to use a shorter focal length to show a bit more of the surroundings.

(Of course, I have no idea exactly what the surroundings are--you may have wisely chosen to crop out something unsightly).
08-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
You've chosen a good angle to take advantage of the light. My only suggestion would be to use a shorter focal length to show a bit more of the surroundings.

(Of course, I have no idea exactly what the surroundings are--you may have wisely chosen to crop out something unsightly).
Not unsightly, just too much sky and more foliage on the right. Trying to bring the eye, with the farm lane, to the windmill shadow, I appreciate your comment.
08-24-2018, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree. I'd have moved in close to get a closeup of that shadow.

08-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I like this photo. What caught my eye while passing was the shadow of the windmill turning on the barn, I think the composition is fairly good. What bothers me is that it screams "POSTCARD" image. I may be suffering from an over abundance of rural stuff in Ohio Amish country. Any thoughts?
Nicely done.
08-28-2018, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the road leading to it but I would agree with your assessment that it says Postcard. To me it looks like any other bog standard red barn that I see around here in MN.To me the image looks a bit soft but that my be because of the scaling. I think the windmill shadow would stand out more if you were closer. Maybe crop so that the barn fills the frame at the same aspect ratio but leave off everything right of and including the right most horse. What catches my eye is the peeling paint to the left of the windmill shadow as it adds a bit of texture.

So in my minds eye I would shoot it closer, move a bit more to the left so you would still get some road leading to it, and nail the focus (if it isn't an artifact of resizing). I think being a bit more to the left would also have the road lead right to the windmill shadow you want as your star of the photo as there is a bend in it. I don't know if that is possible but it is my $0.02.
08-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #7

As others have said, what attracted your eye and what most interests me is the shadow. So I would crop in closer on that, even making it most of the image. The equipment filling the right side of the images, and perhaps even the horses, are not the true subject. I'd go closer just to get the shadow of the windmill.

08-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don’t see many barns where I live so I like it a lot. But I would also crop just the bard. I moved it on my phone so that only the barn and the two horses (just cut so the wagon is not in) and everything to the left and top (same aspect) and felt I liked it a lot more.
08-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now that you mention that

QuoteOriginally posted by jays0n Quote
I don’t see many barns where I live so I like it a lot. But I would also crop just the bard. I moved it on my phone so that only the barn and the two horses (just cut so the wagon is not in) and everything to the left and top (same aspect) and felt I liked it a lot more.
This morning I did just that after playing with the RAW file, something that I am not as yet comfortable. I also cropped from the bottom but that seemed to put me further above the scene, sort of strange. I do like the image with additional cropping on the right. Thanks for the suggestion(s).
08-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ditto.
08-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don’t see many barns where I live so I like it a lot.
I guess I tend to forget that rural scenes are rare for a lot of people especially those who live in big cities. I suppose those who live there look at people like me the same way as I become fascinated with the glass clad towers and seemingly narrow streets. And now I want to go put my 17mm on my camera and wander around in Minneapolis instead of working after I finish my lunch.
08-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I guess I tend to forget that rural scenes are rare for a lot of people especially those who live in big cities. I suppose those who live there look at people like me the same way as I become fascinated with the glass clad towers and seemingly narrow streets. And now I want to go put my 17mm on my camera and wander around in Minneapolis instead of working after I finish my lunch.
You definite should!!! However I feel the same way about tall buildings and gritty streets as you do about barns
08-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #13

Looks like home
08-31-2018, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, with suggested crop. It may need some more tweeks but the advice was "spot on" and it is much less a postcard and now a keeper. Again, thanks for your help.
Attached Images

08-31-2018, 05:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, that’s it! Definitely a keeper now.