Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the filth
Lens: Series 1 Vivitar 135mm f/2.3 Camera: Spotmatic f Photo Location: Spring Lake Regional Park ISO: 100 

I have wondered what others think of this photo. The freshly fallen green leaf with the water in it is supposed to be the star. The film was Kodak Ektar so the reds and oranges were a bit overpowering so I toned them down. This was one of the other images I considered using for last year's fall colors contest.

08-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's OK, but if you wanted to feature that leaf, I'd have moved in much closer, and eliminated the other green one, so there's only the main one with any real color to it. It's also not exactly on a cardinal point, that too would make the subject more obvious.
08-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
It's OK, but if you wanted to feature that leaf, I'd have moved in much closer, and eliminated the other green one, so there's only the main one with any real color to it. It's also not exactly on a cardinal point, that too would make the subject more obvious.
It is film and was scanned at a high resolution so being able to crop it would work without it looking horrible. When cropping it where would you suggest putting the cardinal point on the leaf? Part of me thinks on the left pool of water and another part thinks the dark spot of filth on it in the middle.
08-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd increase the saturation a little, if you can.

08-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
I'd increase the saturation a little, if you can.
That won't be a problem as I turned down most of them some as that brought out the green more. I'll give that a second look.
10-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #6

I like this. I think this is good enough form that distance. The difference in color, keep the green leaf to the right in focus.
This would be nice to have on a wall.
10-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think for a picture that's theme is all about contrast, it's rather flat .
You could even desaturate the surrounding area and leave the leaf the same. imo

10-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What I find interesting is how I view this image now over a year on from when I posted it and 2 years from when I took it. Revisiting these images as others find them and make a post is somewhat interesting to go back and reflect on what one would do now and to see how much one has grown/changed. I would have done things very differently with a more straight down shot, pushed in much closer and probably tossed the smaller green leaf in the low center part of the image out of the way before shooting. I would have framed the green leaf in the upper left instead of a little off to the lower right.
12-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have hesitated for a while to comment on this photo. Usually, I'm quite sensitive to the beauty of the mundane and all for images of things that go unnoticed by other people, but this one doesn't really work for me.

Maybe it's that I can't get over all that muck -- which kinda makes me wonder if there were no fall leaves to be found in more inviting spots -- but even if I brush that aside, I would indeed have preferred a closer perspective on the glistening leaf that is supposed to be the star, as you yourself put it (seconded by my eyes, which sure enough land on it).