Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Thanks. The first time I saw this view I didn't have my map or camera with me but did the "I'll remember where this is" so continued walking around. Then I spent about a week trying to find it again so I could get my picture.
That's an interesting story, behind the shot! Makes even more special for you!

10-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #17

This is probably my favorite picture I took when I lived in Paris. It was during the time when Paris was bidding for the 2012 Olympic games and was putting in a lot of effort to clean things up. Thus if you go now everything in this images has either been changed or has been cleaned. The exact location is that I was standing on the north corner of Rue Montmartre and Impasse Saint-Eustache looking down Impasse Saint-Eustache. Since this has been a long time favorite image I have taken I am curious what other think of it or an explanation of why I find it such an interesting image, or is this one where I like it because I am a bit off sometimes (see my upside down fall colors reflection picture).

Camera: Spotmatic F
Lens: 28mm SMC Takumar f/3.5
Film: ISO 200 Fuji
Probably shot at F/8
Nicely executed! You really feel how narrow the street is!
10-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is probably my favorite picture I took when I lived in Paris. It was during the time when Paris was bidding for the 2012 Olympic games and was putting in a lot of effort to clean things up. Thus if you go now everything in this images has either been changed or has been cleaned. The exact location is that I was standing on the north corner of Rue Montmartre and Impasse Saint-Eustache looking down Impasse Saint-Eustache. Since this has been a long time favorite image I have taken I am curious what other think of it or an explanation of why I find it such an interesting image, or is this one where I like it because I am a bit off sometimes (see my upside down fall colors reflection picture).

Camera: Spotmatic F
Lens: 28mm SMC Takumar f/3.5
Film: ISO 200 Fuji
Probably shot at F/8
This is an awesome angle.
10-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the enclosing walls a lot, it feels slightly underexposed but I like tend to underexpose slightly for aesthetic reasons, so it works for me.

10-28-2019, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
I like the enclosing walls a lot, it feels slightly underexposed but I like tend to underexpose slightly for aesthetic reasons, so it works for me.
At the time Paris was in the middle of going through the big cleaning as they were in the running to host the 2012 Olympics which they lost to London. So some places were very clean as was about half of Notre Dame but this little alley way was still as filthy as ever. the sky was mostly overcast and the taller buildings with narrow street makes things pretty dark. It was a bit under exposed but then it was dark there.
10-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, so it just isn't me then. What about the composition works? Composition is an area I have struggled with so when I get it right I would love to know why.
In terms of composition I agree with the others about cropping the right hand side a bit. The road is running at a slight angle to the right so the eye is drawn in the direction, however with the current crop the church is centered in the frame. If the right side was cropped a bit then I would feel like the road would be drawing you eyes more to the church itself.