Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunset at the lake
Lens: 17mm SMC Fisheye Takumar F/4 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: The lakes region of MN ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F11 

Looking for general comments on composition and exposure. I like the dark silhouettes at sunset but wondering what others think. This has a little curves adjustment but not much. The sun had dipped below the horizon about 10 minutes before this.

08-28-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Responses should be all over the map on this subject. Some are allergic to deep shadows and open everything way up. Others such as myself love them. Go with your gut and trust your judgement.
08-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the tones and the contrast. Perhaps I would have framed slightly to the left, the way it currently is shows the curve of the clouds a little too close to the border.
08-29-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Perhaps I would have framed slightly to the left, the way it currently is shows the curve of the clouds a little too close to the border.
Hadn't thought of that. I did shoot it way to the left with barely any of the trees on the right and that just seemed really boring. I think with that one it didn't work because the 17mm fisheye has such a wide FoV that it just felt too empty.

08-29-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might lighten it a touch and increase the color saturation slightly.
08-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the colors in the sky and the reflections in the water in contrast to the deep shadows of the trees, well done.
What is distracting for me is the fisheye effect on the other shore, especially because it's water and not land that might be uneven.
In this scenario I would go a symmetrical approach and put the shore through the centre when shooting or I would defish the image in post
08-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I actually like the lighting; I think the composition could be adjusted though.
There's a decent amount of space on the right, perhaps too much?

Otherwise I think it's a fantastic view!

08-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
What is distracting for me is the fisheye effect on the other shore
I didn't find it distracting until it got pointed out. Now I can't seem to unsee it.

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 07:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
There's a decent amount of space on the right, perhaps too much?
This was mentioned before. I probably should have tried that shot as well but I only did 2 framings, one with almost nothing on the right which just looked empty and then this one. When using a digital camera I should probably be less sparing with taking shots framed differently but old film habits die hard.
08-29-2018, 08:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I didn't find it distracting until it got pointed out. Now I can't seem to unsee it.
It happens, sorry I "ruined" the picture for you.

This was mentioned before. I probably should have tried that shot as well but I only did 2 framings, one with almost nothing on the right which just looked empty and then this one. When using a digital camera I should probably be less sparing with taking shots framed differently but old film habits die hard.
Doing fewer shots actually helps to slow you down and think more about every single image, so not necessarily a bad thing
08-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It happens, sorry I "ruined" the picture for you.
No problem some times the mind papers over things and the need to be pointed out so you see them.

Doing fewer shots actually helps to slow you down and think more about every single image, so not necessarily a bad thing
True, but I already do fairly slow photography thinking about things most of the time and won't take the time for another 1 or 2 framings. I need to get out of the mindset of shooting film and and experiment a bit more but still be deliberate. The only times I don't do slow deliberate photography is when photographing scout events because they bounce off the walls and when when trying to take pictures of birds at the lake, again because they just don't stop moving.
08-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 07:48 AM ----------

haha sorry, I didn't read all the previous comments before posting myself!

When it comes to digital though, I've found myself at about a 1% keeper rate... I just fire off like crazy when I find a good subject. Probably overkill, but I'm going for wildlife most of the time and if I take 500 shots one morning and come away with 5 keepers, I'm ecstatic!
08-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
With bouncy and moving targets (cub scouts, birds, chipmunks, etc.) I will blast away as well I just need to be willing to shoot more with the slow photography too but still take my time but just try more things as it only costs a little of my time.
08-29-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
Forum Member

I love the photo, color and shadows are beautiful. The only thing I would say is the couple of branches at the top right are slightly distracting cropping or editing them out would add alot
08-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nmcleod1993 Quote
The only thing I would say is the couple of branches at the top right are slightly distracting cropping or editing them out would add alot
They should be pretty easy to edit out although I usually don't do that unless I find something really offensive (the bright orange buoy in my foggy island picture) in a picture. With how I am I really try to keep post processing to a minimal as I can see myself really overcooking things and not realizing it. I may give that a try though.

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
You might lighten it a touch and increase the color saturation slightly.
another idea worth exploring, although what is in the foreground isn't the nicest as a lot of it is dead cat tails, remnants of a floating grass mat, and a dead shore shrub. So there are some tan colors that might add to the picture so maybe a slight boost there. I may want to mask the shoreline and shoreline reflections off from the sky and water and make the adjustments separately.
08-29-2018, 02:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Great sky.

I generally don't like fisheye. It makes your horizon look tilted.

The black shadows on the distant shore are nice. There's too much of it on the right side near shaore, IMO. Crop away some of the right side or boost shadows a little.