Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Colors of Construction (selective color)
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 

Comments appreciated.

I'm especially interested in comments from people who, like me, have a general distaste for selective color. Do the colors here work for you or do you still dislike it? I generally put selective color into the same gimmick category as overdone HDR, but the colors here emphasize how much construction is going on.

Other comments are also welcome, including from people who always like selective color. Composition, building tilt, etc.

Processed in Lightroom. I did most of it in the HSL panel. Minimized saturation of all colors except yellow and orange. I also reduced the blue luminance to make the sky more dramatic.

08-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Color me crazy, but I like what you have done. It is not garish or seem misplaced.
08-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fine in the right place, especially to illustrate a point. It is a thing I do rarely I have attached a recent example, for which the reasoning is obvious to me at least.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
08-30-2018, 11:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i like the colors especially against the grey sky and grey concrete

08-31-2018, 03:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Comments appreciated.

I'm especially interested in comments from people who, like me, have a general distaste for selective color. Do the colors here work for you or do you still dislike it? I generally put selective color into the same gimmick category as overdone HDR, but the colors here emphasize how much construction is going on.

Other comments are also welcome, including from people who always like selective color. Composition, building tilt, etc.

Processed in Lightroom. I did most of it in the HSL panel. Minimized saturation of all colors except yellow and orange. I also reduced the blue luminance to make the sky more dramatic.

I am not a huge fan of selective color pictures either, but this is certainly one of the more succesful attempts.
It would maybe be interesting to see a comparison picture where you stopped desaturation slightly before B&W though.
08-31-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I do like this.
I find selective colors work for still life like an apple on a table or something...

I actually have no idea how to do what you've done, so part of me finds the curiosity of achieving such a results more interesting than the photo itself.
But I do like the photo!
08-31-2018, 05:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I generally put selective color into the same gimmick category as overdone HDR, but the colors here emphasize how much construction is going on.
Hi
I am neither here nor there about it, there is always room for something different and interesting. Your pic, I think, hangs together well enough. And as in HDR, selective colour, when used sparingly has its place. Sadly though, particularly HDR treatment, most people don't know when to stop.

What bugs me more - extreme falling lines. The more wide angle the shot and the closer you get to a tall object the bigger the problem manifests itself. (But you know all that) The falling lines wide angle lenses produce is not a conscious benefit added by the manufacturer in the name of “art” rather it is the law of physics raring its ugly head. But to judge by the frequency of falling line picture one can observe when people present wide angle shots you are forgiven to think it is seen as art.

Yet now, in the era of digital photography, it is relatively easy to correct falling buildings without having to invest in a tilt and shift lens which we had to use in the old film days when we photographed architectural shots.

Cheers

P.S. The more I look at it the more I like it

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:52 PM.
08-31-2018, 06:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
...The more I look at it the more I like it
Thanks for the falling lines opinion. Your closing, quoted above, reminds me of a song.

Backstory of the lyrics is the lead singer's wife was a sculptor. The lyrics paraphrase her discussing a sculpture she made.

08-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think the colors work well in this case.
08-31-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'd suggest bleeding a little color out.