Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
London Cityscapes
Lens: SMC Pentax DA 18-135 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: London ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F8 

Hi All

It's been a while since I've been here and I'd forgotten how good it was. I must try harder in future.

I'm showing 3 images as they were all taken the same evening and have had very similar pp in LR and PS. I've been playing for a week now and I think I have finally got the best from each shot. I have also included links to full size Flickr images.

The first image, The Invisible Bus, was taken on Westminster Bridge and is the best of a bad bunch. Crowds and traffic didn't really work that evening.
The second image, The City, was taken from the South Bank.
The third image, The Millennium Bridge, was the one I wanted and I originally intended to use my Sigma 10-20 lens but decided against it.

PP includes a crop to 20 x 10 with a border and drop shadow. All images had a slight exposure adjustment and also Highlights, Shadows and Clarity adjustments depending on need.

Be as critical as you like as this is the first time I have taken any images like this and the pp gave me so many options to consider that I got a headache.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, ideas and suggestions.

I know it's not proper critique but I would love it if everyone who looks said at least one thing, like "To dark", "To light", "Just right" or even "It's blurred"'

Thanks

Ray

Westminster Bridge | After a week of changing this that and ? | Flickr

City of London | After a week of changing this that and ever? | Flickr

Millennium Bridge | After a week of changing this that and e? | Flickr

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by Ray Hines; 09-01-2018 at 01:16 PM.
09-01-2018, 03:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice work. The K-5 and 18-135 used to be my regular combination when I was travelling.
09-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Nice work. The K-5 and 18-135 used to be my regular combination when I was travelling.
Thanks Rob, it's a great combo even now.
09-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
Thanks Rob, it's a great combo even now.
I agree. One of my daughters has mine, now, but I’ve yet to see anything come out of my gift.

09-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you should pull back the whites a little in the first image, because the clock is a little too blown out for my taste.
Same in the third picture, the edges of St. Paul's Cathedral are a little too bright for me.
I am not sure about the compositon of the Westminster Bridge, I think shooting from a higher point or a point further to the right would have been better (assuming it is possible to go there, the last time I was in London was ~20 years ago ).
I like the second image most (City of London). The composition is perfect, so is the ship and I also like the pp especially in the lower half, the only things I have to criticize are the red lights on the buildings and cranes (the pallid area around those lights) and there is something weird going on with that cloud.
09-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think you should pull back the whites a little in the first image, because the clock is a little too blown out for my taste.
Same in the third picture, the edges of St. Paul's Cathedral are a little too bright for me.
I am not sure about the compositon of the Westminster Bridge, I think shooting from a higher point or a point further to the right would have been better (assuming it is possible to go there, the last time I was in London was ~20 years ago ).
I like the second image most (City of London). The composition is perfect, so is the ship and I also like the pp especially in the lower half, the only things I have to criticize are the red lights on the buildings and cranes (the pallid area around those lights) and there is something weird going on with that cloud.
Thank you Othar your thoughts are much appreciated. Due to the crowds that evening that was the best I could do at Westminster Bridge

09-04-2018, 04:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some good stuff here.
A few observations, Please correct falling lines they are always so annoying and they are so easily corrected. You have the software to do it very quickly. Westminster Bridge pic looks so much better with vertical building lines.

You have shot this in RAW format I guess. In AdobeRAW, if you move the highlight slider all the way to the left the bright illuminated windows and the big clock will have less glare and you will recover some detail. Maybe not a lot, but some. This will improve the pic to no end.

Next time try to capture this shot during the blue hour for some stunning sky.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:52 PM.
09-05-2018, 01:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Some good stuff here.
A few observations, Please correct falling lines they are always so annoying and they are so easily corrected. You have the software to do it very quickly. Westminster Bridge pic looks so much better with vertical building lines.

You have shot this in RAW format I guess. In AdobeRAW, if you move the highlight slider all the way to the left the bright illuminated windows and the big clock will have less glare and you will recover some detail. Maybe not a lot, but some. This will improve the pic to no end.

Please correct falling lines they are always so annoying and they are so easily corrected.

I had done that but must have gone back to an earlier version and my brain just didn't notice at it knew I'd already done it. :-D

if you move the highlight slider all the way to the left the bright illuminated windows and the big clock will have less glare and you will recover some detail.

I did play with the Highlights but I don't think I've ever gone all the way left so I'll give it a try, thanks.

I did but my brother in law was driving so I missed it. It was just as slow going home again. :-( lol
09-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Hines Quote
The third image, The Millennium Bridge, was the one I wanted and I originally intended to use my Sigma 10-20 lens but decided against it.
The Millennium Bridge leading to St Paul's is a nice composition, I'd only suggest pulling the highlights back to see if you can recover any detail where the spotlights are shining on the dome.