Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Liberty
Lens: 50-200 Camera: K-100D Photo Location: outdoor ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F11 

this photo is been take from a ferry

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
09-04-2018, 04:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not sure what you tried to achieve, did you underexpose this purposely ? I guess not otherwise you would not post it here.
It is somewhat difficult to do a remote analysis why your picture is so badly underexposed. There should have been anough light.
The EXIF is not giving the full story. My hunch is you inadvertently moved EV (exposure compensation) value too far into minus territory which would give you that sort of look.

Also I usually stay away from f/11.0, (or higher). In my opinion there is really no need for it. Diffraction starts to affect the picture negatively, particularly with cheaper or lower optical quality zooms. F/8 usually is the sweet spot with most lenses and use this if wider DOF is desired and if there is enough light to allow reasonable shutter speed for what you wish to photograph. Alternatively if you like shallow DOF use a bigger iris opening (lower f/number). But in any case your aperture priority setting should automatically adjust shutter speed accordingly. And if your picture displays either too bright or dark, adjust EV to either minus or plus.

I tried to adjust your pic, but there is not much that can be done with this low quality image. It is starting to get very blocky.

Funnily enough, I took a shot at Lady Liberty from very much the same angle, also from the ferry. Have a look. Without self praise, this is what you can achieve with a bit of practice.

Cheers

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:52 PM.
09-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I use the setting because I don't want to over expose the picture about the photo I reduce the size. you are right looks under expose if you see both photos look the details yours loose details my have more details look from top to bottom you will see what I am taking about.
09-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luis garcia Quote
yours loose details my have more details look from top to bottom you will see what I am taking about.
Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about. Could be a language problem.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 09-04-2018 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo
09-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
F/8 usually is the sweet spot with most lenses...
Somewhere around here about 2 years ago was a member's resolution chart (shaded red/yellow/green) for most Limiteds which put the sweet spot at f5.6. This makes sense as the old rule was 2 stops down. Per the chart, the DA55 (I think it was) was horrible near wide open.

I agree the OP is a bit underexposed.
09-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
for most Limiteds which put the sweet spot at f5.6.
Hi

I totally agree but I was not talking about quality lenses. However your reply is valid, it gives people a broader understanding in this matter.

I wrote:
“Diffraction starts to affect the picture negatively, particularly with cheaper or lower optical quality zooms. F/8 usually is the sweet spot with most lenses”

Perhaps I should have not put the full stop at the end of “zooms”.

Cheers, all is well
10-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by luis garcia Quote
this photo is been take from a ferry
The lean of the lady is rather disconcerting.