Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Potential Senior Portraits.

I took my youngest son Patrick yesterday to Mueller State Park and came away with a few pictures that look pretty good for his Senior Portraits. I am open to suggestions on how I could have made these better (aside from getting a better subject ). These were taken around noon.

These were taken with the K20D and Sigma 17-70mm sometimes using a reflector.

Thanks
Jim

09-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think all except the last one could have used a bit more fill, either from a closer reflector or some flash. Otherwise, they look nice!
09-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You might be able to simulate more lighting on his face in Lightroom or another post processing software. The pictures have a lot of potential.
09-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks krypticide, I tried using my on board flash to my reflectors trying to get somemore light up underneath the hat but Patrick would always squint and say the light was too bright. When I tried the reflector I tried both the gold and the silver I even tried aiming the reflection more to above and below his face but that didn't work either.

Thanks mithrandir, I use elements 6. Do you know if I could do that there and how.

Thanks
Jim

09-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Download this document:
http://www.ac.sbc.edu/documentation/training/Photoshop_Elements.pdf
It is a bit old, but will show you how to dodge and burn. Look around page 10 and following.
09-22-2008, 06:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

No2 looks to be the more natural shot as for the rest flash flash and tone done the nasty light you get at high noon

cheers
10-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I think the last one is probably the best with regards to the lighting. It looks like you have a pretty nice catch light in his eyes. One thing would be to watch the hot spot on his left cheek. Maybe have him move his head slightly to try to remove that because it is pretty distracting. Other then that they are pretty good. Shooting at high noon is tough!

10-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Hi Jim, you certainly didn't make life easy for yourself (or maybe it was the model).
I think the pattern on the shirt is a bit overwhelming (would be better in less bright conditions) and the white sleeves are on the verge of being blown out on a couple of shots.
The light colour of the hat probably doesn't help either and it was the middle of the day.

I think, considering what you had to work with, you did a bloody good job.