Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by willlarmour21 Quote
Hello,

This is my first post on the Pentax Forums. I've been using Pentax cameras for around 10 years now but haven't really given astrophotography a go before up until around 2 months ago.

This was taken last weekend and it's what I would call my first "decent" astrophotography image... I'd just like a little bit of critique if possible please and any pointers on something I could do better?
Nice effort! Keep up the good work!

10-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Love this one, agree with the one note about upping the contrast but that's a minor note.
10-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #18

Hello,

This is my first post on the Pentax Forums. I've been using Pentax cameras for around 10 years now but haven't really given astrophotography a go before up until around 2 months ago.

This was taken last weekend and it's what I would call my first "decent" astrophotography image... I'd just like a little bit of critique if possible please and any pointers on something I could do better?
Very cool!
11-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Very nice image! I think you did a great job! I would give only 2 suggestions. First, I would have tried some other higher ISO settings for color purposes. I have a different lens, a Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4, and I have managed to get a bit more color in ISO 4000 and 6400, in spite of the grain. And finally, if I were taking this photo, I would do a little bit different composition, positioning the camera to the left in order to keep the tower a bit to the right and leave more space for the Milky Way.

11-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #20
Banned

well done
11-30-2019, 10:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Hello,

Great image!
12-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As with any critique, you'll get differing opinions. Don't crank your ISO, i'd say lower it. In my first images it was all about how many stars I could get in at the sacrifice of the colour of those stars. Stars aren't all white, they come in a variety of colour and preserving those colours is of now utmost importance to me. To do that, you need to shoot at lower ISO's and watch how you edit the image. You can still bring out the nebula detail of the Milky Way and retain the natural colour of the stars but it takes work, and shooting at an ISO of 800 or lower.

Overall the image seems a little green to me but not horribly so and it could be my monitor.

Love the foreground element and I think you did a fine job. (yes I realize this is an old post!)

12-18-2019, 04:07 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all, I have never done astrophotography, so I will not comment on the technical side of that.
But to me it looks more like a photo of an old chimney in a night sky, thatn astrophotography. The chimney atracts too much attention. the stars get a bit lost.
06-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

I like the pic! Nice shot! Would like a bit more contrast but overall nice work
06-30-2021, 02:05 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure about the trumpet, but my first experience with astrophotography was much sadder.
07-01-2021, 02:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian

errr, the critiquerequest is from 2018 !! and it is 2021 ... for what it is worth, excellent1st image, would have been nice to see more sky and the structure only as ananchor - would love to see your current collection.