Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 08:29 AM - 9 Likes   #1

First "Decent" Astrophotography Photo
Lens: Samyang 14mm Camera: Pentax K-3 II Photo Location: Skipton, North Yorkshire, UK ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2.8 

Hello,

This is my first post on the Pentax Forums. I've been using Pentax cameras for around 10 years now but haven't really given astrophotography a go before up until around 2 months ago.

This was taken last weekend and it's what I would call my first "decent" astrophotography image... I'd just like a little bit of critique if possible please and any pointers on something I could do better?

Attached Images

10-08-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

It looks good to me. Perhaps it could use a little more contrast to darken the sky a little. I really like the foreground.
10-02-2019, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by willlarmour21 Quote
Hello,

This is my first post on the Pentax Forums. I've been using Pentax cameras for around 10 years now but haven't really given astrophotography a go before up until around 2 months ago.

This was taken last weekend and it's what I would call my first "decent" astrophotography image... I'd just like a little bit of critique if possible please and any pointers on something I could do better?
I think it is quite a bit above the standard of a "decent" image.
I think it is a great image.
10-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Nice spot crongratulations !!!

10-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would prefer a little more foreground space, I think, but otherwise, my main criticism would be with the obtrusive watermark. (Get rid of that thing. It may offer a degree of protection, but it seriously discourages people from viewing your image.) Little astro experience myself, but happen to like your image a lot.
10-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello,

Great shot. Such an affordable lens for everyone, too!
10-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
(Get rid of that thing. It may offer a degree of protection, but it seriously discourages people from viewing your image.)
I don't see where a watermark discourages anyone from viewing images, rather discourages anyone from using the image without authorization.

I love the image, as another said, perhaps if the sky could be darkened slightly? Other than that, well done!

10-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done, it takes some practise and effort as anyone who has tried will appreciate.
10-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Nice, and welcome to the forum!

I'd just like a little bit of critique if possible please and any pointers on something I could do better?
Well, i tried astrophotography once and failed miserably, so i cant say much. But i think you nailed it. Looks perfect to me. I like how you ancored the stars in the photo to this center placed stone tower. This was a good composition to make.
10-21-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

To me its a great image and I'm jealous of your results. I'll leave the critique to those who know about astro photography.
10-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Wow, I'm no expert but I really like that image. Well done.
10-22-2019, 12:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Is it a bit phallic or is that just in my head! Cracking photo though. I'd love to be able to take a decent astro shot.
10-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #13

Hello,

Interesting subject for astrophotography foreground !
10-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #14
Forum Member

Hello,

I think this came out great and has a fantastic earthbound foreground.
10-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent first post - well done!

Yes could be dark sky but then I think it works as it is as its feels more ethereal to me.