PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by wgosma; 11-28-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: add pic
11-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent series of images! The colors, the warmth! Great compositions! Exquisite!
very well done!
11-28-2018, 11:38 PM   #3

Great series. If you're asking for feedback, maybe a crop with focus on the chair and the light from the window. The complexity of the broken fire place somewhat dominates the scene.

The other photos do a great job in capturing the place.
12-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
szs
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Colours and composition are excellent. Just one thing comes to mind that you could try, if there'e a chance, the next time you go there:

For the first image of the church, I find the perspective does not match the scene. On the one hand, there are this haunted houses which have a creepy dollhouse feel to them, and on the other side the fleeing lines of the church seem like it is huge.

So maybe you could move away a few meters and use a slightly longer lens and/or step on a chair or rock or small latter or whatever to take the photo from a bit higher point.

I don't know if that would make a better photo, though.... Just an idea

12-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
Colours and composition are excellent. Just one thing comes to mind that you could try, if there'e a chance, the next time you go there:

For the first image of the church, I find the perspective does not match the scene. On the one hand, there are this haunted houses which have a creepy dollhouse feel to them, and on the other side the fleeing lines of the church seem like it is huge.

So maybe you could move away a few meters and use a slightly longer lens and/or step on a chair or rock or small latter or whatever to take the photo from a bit higher point.

I don't know if that would make a better photo, though.... Just an idea
Here's the original uncropped pic of the church- I shot from this location so that I could keep the camera level and not tweak the verticals much if any. The other shot is from another angle (not processed) - Look at the slope of the ground, it's downward as one moves away from the church, so it's not really possible to gain a significantly higher shooting angle by backing away from the structure. But I hear what you're saying. Being this location is essentially a 'ghost town', I think I'll go for that tact on the church shot

Thanks/Bill
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
szs
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Here's the original uncropped pic of the church- I shot from this location so that I could keep the camera level and not tweak the verticals much if any. The other shot is from another angle (not processed) - Look at the slope of the ground, it's downward as one moves away from the church, so it's not really possible to gain a significantly higher shooting angle by backing away from the structure. But I hear what you're saying. Being this location is essentially a 'ghost town', I think I'll go for that tact on the church shot

Thanks/Bill
I see, you'd probably have to climb on one of the other houses' roofs to get a different perspective, which would probably get you in trouble.... Ah, wait, there is a two story building close to where I assume you stood making the photo. Is that accessible? Maybe if one asks kindly whoever is in charge?

Also one could "correct" the perspective in PP (see attachment).

If I am stubborn with this, it's because I really like the scenery and that photo. It's very timeless in a way. It transmits the 19th century as well as a post-apocalyptic feel.... So please take this as a compliment!

Steffen
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, it’s an interesting place. No climbing, it’s a California State park and is being preserved in a state of “arrested decay”. There are rangers/State employees on-site so one needs to respect the buildings and the old mining equipment scattered around the area.
12-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
szs
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's what I thought. But can you go inside and to the 2nd floor of the two-story building?

12-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don’t think so; most indoor access as I recall is ground floor if at all. Access is limited, those other pics of the kitchen and living room spaces were walled off from full entry by heavy duty chicken wire- the park people don’t want Joe Public poking around and disturbing what is left if this old place.
12-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #10
szs
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
I don’t think so; most indoor access as I recall is ground floor if at all. Access is limited, those other pics of the kitchen and living room spaces were walled off from full entry by heavy duty chicken wire- the park people don’t want Joe Public poking around and disturbing what is left if this old place.
I see. It's a pity, but its certainly the reasonable thing. Otherwise this place would look like that in a month or less. Not because of the careful photographer trying to get a better angle, I am just imagining a bunch of children sticking their chewing gum under the tables....

As a final remark: Thanks for sharing! Great photos! Great location!