Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Platicando
Lens: Exakta 35-70mm Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Morelia, Michoacán, México ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

A candid shot of a scene in a café. I didn't catch the moment I wanted to, unfortunately, where the couple was talking and really sticking their heads together, but I also liked this outcome.

What I am not sure about, and I would love feedback about, is

• the crop: should I close in on the couple and loose the foreground gentlemen?
  • the contrast: I played around with the darks and lights and had a few version with very sharp contrasts that I liked, but I tend to overdo that, so I limited myself to what you are looking at
  • the overall exposure: I could stretch the histogram further to the right, but I felt, I would loose the intimate character of the scene. Also it was not happening in bright sunlight....
Of course, all other comments are welcome as well.

Cheers, Steffen

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by szs; 12-03-2018 at 08:23 PM.
12-03-2018, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #2

I'd keep the two foreground men; they are a great framing device. Fine shot...
12-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The exposure and contrast look good to me, no need to change those. Composition is good, too.

The guy on the left edge definitely adds to the photo. He's blurred, so doesn't distract from the main subjects, yet I can still make out his expression. He adds depth to the photo and leads me to wonder what he's looking at.

The guy on the right is less interesting but still acts to frame the main subjects.

The bright vertical line of wall moulding near upper-right is a slight distraction. Maybe experiment with a squarer crop to get rid of that, but it then introduces a new problem because you'll lose the right guy's head leaving a disembodied shoulder. It's still a good photo, whether left as-is or cropped. Do not crop out the left guy.
12-14-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
chd

I like it overall. I agree with the previous comments that the foreground people make a good framing device; unfortunately I think they are a little large and so tend to dominate the frame a little more than would be ideal. Under the circumstances I'm not sure that you could do much about it though. You might be able to crop in just a bit tighter on both sides, though not too much.

If you think the bright vertical line of wall moulding is distracting, rather than crop it out you just just darken it some.

12-17-2018, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish it was 2-3 stops or open to shallow out the Depth of field.

Have a feeling that 4x5 may work.
10-02-2019, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
vtn

QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
A candid shot of a scene in a café. I didn't catch the moment I wanted to, unfortunately, where the couple was talking and really sticking their heads together, but I also liked this outcome.

• the contrast: I played around with the darks and lights and had a few version with very sharp contrasts that I liked, but I tend to overdo that, so I limited myself to what you are looking at
  • the overall exposure: I could stretch the histogram further to the right, but I felt, I would loose the intimate character of the scene. Also it was not happening in bright sunlight....

Cheers, Steffen
I like the composition of the picture, especially blurry foreground: the face in upper left corner matches that of the boy
10-05-2019, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with the others about the men in the foreground as an effective and context-lending framing device. But you might want to level the table, or otherwise that wooden structure bordering on the couple perfectly. Heavy cropping would also risk cutting the window grille, which is nice as is.
10-08-2019, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
The crop is fine and contrast to. Though i probably would have tried a wider aperture than F8 to compensate for the two men in the foreground.
Not much else to be done than maybe wait for them to move, but then the moment might be lost.

11-06-2019, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote

Cheers, Steffen
Love the cropping you chose, as it really frames the shot nicely. But because of reasons you've already identified, I find I am more intrigued by the drama in the foreground conversation than the couple in focus. Still, it's an excellent shot, nevertheless! Bravo!
11-24-2019, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Banned

Yes, I like the two in the front framing the shot.
11-27-2019, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I think the you should keep the foreground, it adds some interest. The contrast and exposure is fine too. I would darken the forground just a little bit with one-one gradient filter on each side. I would turn them in approximetly 30 dgree in this direction: /
11-29-2019, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
at first view, my eye went straight to the oof fellow on the left. His eyes and hand to his mouth is what i first saw. Then I followed his eyes to what he was looking which is the fellow with his back to the camera.
I like how you used these two foreground images but I had to ask myself what is the photographer's intention here. It was then I searched and found your main image. I like the intimate atmosphere created and captured. As far as cropping, I probably would but I would have to play with that to finalize my decision. I would experiment putting the couple in the magic 2/3 rule - upper left 2/3. I agree with the rest for a shallower DoF. Perhaps you could create that in pp along with some vignetting draw attention to the couple in the center. Just my take on things...
12-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
szs

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you. I didn't expect this to gain attention again after almost a year

Now I am motivated to try some more things. I will keep the foreground but try to lead the eye to the couple with brightness and maybe some additional blur on the foreground faces.