Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #1

help.....why??

I posted in another forum asking how to take the following pics today. Apparently I still couldn't get it right. Remember I am new to the digital SLR era (so please be gentle) and so far, I'm not liking it I would really like to figure this out but am getting so frustrated along the way.

Anyway, this is what I've got and I really hope I do this right so you can see my awful pic.

It was cloudy, I shot these on a tripod with my Tam 28-80 f/4-5.6 in shut & ap priority mode at F11 at 45 mm. Why are they so dark? I thought that mode was supposed to pick the right shutter speed to let in the right amount of light. Besides being dark, I think they are grainy.

09-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps the flash was underpowered for the setting being chosen? Always a good idea to avoid full auto. But the files can still be saved.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   

Last edited by wlachan; 09-27-2008 at 08:21 PM.
09-27-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exposure is one of the toughest things to learn... I still unexposed move then over. It's a on going process learning from your mistakes... Good luck.. JIMBO

Last edited by Jimbo; 10-03-2008 at 05:51 PM.
09-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pattik Quote
I posted in another forum asking how to take the following pics today. Apparently I still couldn't get it right. Remember I am new to the digital SLR era (so please be gentle) and so far, I'm not liking it I would really like to figure this out but am getting so frustrated along the way.

Anyway, this is what I've got and I really hope I do this right so you can see my awful pic.

It was cloudy, I shot these on a tripod with my Tam 28-80 f/4-5.6 in shut & ap priority mode at F11 at 45 mm. Why are they so dark? I thought that mode was supposed to pick the right shutter speed to let in the right amount of light. Besides being dark, I think they are grainy.
Well, from the EXIF, it says iso 400, and 1/125 for shutter speed, and 40mm focal length.

You have 8 people crammed together up front, so figure about 18 inches each, so about 20 feet across the frame. Assuming you are using the built in flash, it jsut doesn't have the oomph to pull that off at f11, even at iso 800. The only reason the first shot is as bright as it is is due to the setting sunlight. Bump it back to f 8.o if it doesn't wreck the DOF, and bring the shutter speed down to something slower like 1/60th or 1/30th, and you would have been much closer to what you wanted.

The second one is closer, but it appears the sun is helping less, so you still don't have enough light make the trip there and back.

As for grainy, I can't say with them reduced in size so. Don't judge chroma and luma noise by 100% views, you simply aren't supposed to be looking at a 100% image up close on a monitor. You'd never do the same with film except if working on an enlargement in the darkroom, and much the same happens. At this size, there isn't much noise, but that much scaling will hide a lot of noise. Generally at 400, the k10d should be pretty well controlled on noise. 800 is borderline and depends on the pic. post processing can bring out noise in anything though.

09-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'm really happy with this forum, it's nice to be able to get some positive honest feedback without being slammed for it. Thank you so much!

Yes I was using the built in flash. I still don't own an external one. I just downloaded Picasa 3 and was very impressed with how I could easily change the lighting in my photos. Is that good enough for a beginner? It looks like it's good enough to save my butt on these pics anyway.

Again, thank you I really appreciate your time and input!
09-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If YOU ARE HAPPY then it IS good enough. Don't fall into the trap "of the masses".

And BTW, welcome.
09-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Learn to chimp

The fastest way to learn proper settings is to do a lot of chimping. Take a shot, look at it in review, adjust your settings and shoot again, and again, and----.

Even pros chimp so there is nothing wrong with doing it. over time you will get better at getting it closer to right the first time. Practice, practice, practice.

Ken