01-15-2019, 01:27 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Winter Gray
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Camera: Pentax KP 

01-18-2019, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shots capturing spirit of the season!
01-18-2019, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really like these, especially the first one. It really draws me into the landscape.
01-18-2019, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful scenes well captured.

To make them better have a play around in black and white conversion programs, remembering that you should have some absolute black and absolute white in the image somewhere. NIK & Topaz are two programs that have highly regarded b&w conversions....but there are probably more out there that other contributors will know of.

01-19-2019, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very good composition and depth. I really like monochrome. To make them even more interresting, I would try to get more contrast in to them. As Mallee Boy suggests, going B/W can be a good idea.
01-24-2019, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

I returned with the B/W versions, according to the received suggestions.

1BW

2BW

Last edited by edri; 01-24-2019 at 04:26 AM.
01-24-2019, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Better, especially the second one. The first one still lacks contrast in my opinion. May I suggest this?
Attached Images

01-28-2019, 01:54 AM   #8

Since I like winter in B&W (works very well since the colors are muted anyhow), I like to butt in. Nice, wintry scenery, I like the light&shadow cast by clouds in 2.

I highly recommend silverefex as a tool of choice for the conversion it also enables creating nice presets that can do wonders.

Couple of tips for clear, high contrast winter photos (low contrast is an option, if you want a more dreamlike quality, but that's a different story):
- Increase exposure value in post (EV) as most likely your camera under exposed a bit (unless you compensated in-camera). You want snow-white to be snow-white and blacks can fall where they may
- If you want to spread the dynamic range around a bit, use levels tool to set the white and black points (the result is usually a bit better and less 'cooked' than trying to achieve the same using the "highlights" & "shadows" settings or similar).
- Simulate yellow or red filter in the post processing (this increases contrast and downplays atmospheric haze a little bit) silverefex provides this directly; photoshop and similar can work this by e.g. editing curves for channels separately before the B&W conversion or playing with the conversion settings themselves
- Consider toning the neutral grey end-result with a tiny bit of metallic blue-gray color filter similar to selenium toning the result is colder and somehow feels more wintry and clear

Sorry, if I got overexcited over this and posted a too-much-information blurb. I just really like B&W in winter. Cheers!

01-29-2019, 04:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi

Nice detailed images. I like to play a bit with contrast, dodge and burn and cropping. Just to see what can come out of an image. I found the top one to be more interesting.

Here is my interpretation. A bit heavy handed perhaps. I usually do go heavy on the first edit and then tone things down a bit later.
Attached Images

01-30-2019, 12:36 AM   #10

My interpretation of the second one (silverefex, personal preset with tonal contrast, levels, red filter and light selenium toning to nudge the overall tone into blue/gray instead of neutral gray).
Attached Images