Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2019, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exercise In Post Photo Editing. :(
Lens: Canon EF-S 55~250mm Lens Camera: Canon EOS Rebel t5. Photo Location: My Backyard ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.6 

Focal Length 250mm, Manual Exposure Mode, No Flash and used Partial Metering.

Thanks for any hints and suggestions. I need someone to throw me a Life Saver.

Thanks for the assistance.

TT

03-23-2019, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rule number one. Composition. My college photography professor said, crop in camera first, then in editing software. I've lived by that rule for over 25 years. And he was not wrong, the less you have to crop once it's on the computer the less you have to do.

You have a single flower upper left all by itself that draws my eyes there, it's not needed in the overall scheme of the photo. Crop it out.

How do you like this crop?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS REBEL T5  Photo 
03-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Rule number one. Composition. My college photography professor said, crop in camera first, then in editing software. I've lived by that rule for over 25 years. And he was not wrong, the less you have to crop once it's on the computer the less you have to do.

You have a single flower upper left all by itself that draws my eyes there, it's not needed in the overall scheme of the photo. Crop it out.

Oh Geeezzzz!! What a tremendous improvement. Greatly appreciated. )

TT
03-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Oh Geeezzzz!! What a tremendous improvement. Greatly appreciated. )

TT
One other thing to consider in your photos, not all out of focus parts are good in a photo either, they too can distract from the overall scheme of the subject. I thought about cropping that out on the right but it would butt up against the first flower too much so I left it in the photo. You want to leave room so the flower doesn't look like it's trying to run outside the edge of the frame. This is the same with birds, never, ever have a bird shot with the beak flat against the edge of the frame.

03-23-2019, 10:44 PM   #5

It cold be my tablet but it looks a little overexposed. I would try exposing for the flowers and let the background darken up a bit.
Hope my 2 helps
Photobill
03-23-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

Maybe like this. Consider getting rid of distracting diagonals, stuff that's going all directions different from the main idea. It's isually confusing, akin to if all the players in a band were doing separate solos. Generally, we want the see "Star" and everything else is supporting cast. Google search should find you some articles on "Common Fate" under Gestalt perception psychology.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS REBEL T5  Photo 
03-24-2019, 01:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

I like it very much. I have been attempting to crop in camera in both my k-50 and k-7 and cannot seem to find the right feature in the software. So how do I crop in my Pentax gear? I know you have a k-50 and had a k-7 so obviously you know the ropes. Thanks very much.

TT
03-24-2019, 05:32 AM   #8
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
It cold be my tablet but it looks a little overexposed. I would try exposing for the flowers and let the background darken up a bit.
Hope my 2 helps
Photobill
I think it's your tablet, it looks fine on my IPS calibrated monitor.

03-24-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And then Brooke comes along and does exactly what I said, I should have done, cropped all the parts that didn't belong in the photo, leaving the main subject, that, being the flowers.
03-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And then Brooke comes along and does exactly what I said, I should have done, cropped all the parts that didn't belong in the photo, leaving the main subject, that, being the flowers.

Hello there, I did discover how to crop in camera in my Pentax gear. However, I do not see how it is a labor saving feature when I still need resize images to comply with what different sites require for dimensions. I believe it is easier to resize on the computer than in the camera. Just my thoughts on the subject. Again, I really want to express my deep appreciation for yours and everyone's assistance.

TT
03-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #11

Hello there, I did discover how to crop in camera in my Pentax gear. However, I do not see how it is a labor saving feature when I still need resize images to comply with what different sites require for dimensions. I believe it is easier to resize on the computer than in the camera. Just my thoughts on the subject. Again, I really want to express my deep appreciation for yours and everyone's assistance.

TT
I think what was meant by "cropping in camera" was to frame the photo a little tighter while composing. Then take the photo. Its easy to fall into the habit to shoot things wide and crop in post. I'm assuming her instructor in collage
would stress the point of trying to see the final composition in his head before he pressed the shutter button.

Try pretending your shooting with film as a young collage student without much cash to pay for film & processing. This will keep you from taking hundreds of photos, loading them onto your CP and sorting through image's that all look very similar for hours & hours.

With exception play with your f-stop from wide open to stopped down say F:2.8 to F:22. USE A TRIPOD!!! This will let you learn about DOF which has an incredible impact on the final image. (And is almost impossible to duplicate in post)
IMO that's one of the best learning techniques that you can do for free with DSLR's (if you don't have a tripod just set the camera on a table top place an item in front of it and focus, try to have a cluttered background so you can see the full affect of DOF and start shooting) play with distance the subject is from the camera. It sure is easer to learn about DOF nowadays compared to the film days 😁

Happy shooting
Photobill

---------- Post added 03-24-19 at 02:15 PM ----------

I think it's your tablet, it looks fine on my IPS calibrated monitor.
Thanks photolady95 I thought it might be

Last edited by Photobill; 03-24-2019 at 02:20 PM.
03-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
I think what was meant by "cropping in camera" was to frame the photo a little tighter while composing. Then take the photo. Its easy to fall into the habit to shoot things wide and crop in post. I'm assuming her instructor in collage
would stress the point of trying to see the final composition in his head before he pressed the shutter button.

Try pretending your shooting with film as a young collage student without much cash to pay for film & processing. This will keep you from taking hundreds of photos, loading them onto your CP and sorting through image's that all look very similar for hours & hours.

With exception play with your f-stop from wide open to stopped down say F:2.8 to F:22. USE A TRIPOD!!! This will let you learn about DOF which has an incredible impact on the final image. (And is almost impossible to duplicate in post)
IMO that's one of the best learning techniques that you can do for free with DSLR's (if you don't have a tripod just set the camera on a table top place an item in front of it and focus, try to have a cluttered background so you can see the full affect of DOF and start shooting) play with distance the subject is from the camera. It sure is easer to learn about DOF nowadays compared to the film days 😁

Happy shooting
Photobill

---------- Post added 03-24-19 at 02:15 PM ----------

Thanks photolady95 I thought it might be

Well I believe this has been a difficult lesson for me as I can now see the error of my ways. When I initially posted in the Critique Section I was looking for comments on Color, Exposure and Sharpness. Again, this was my first attempt to seriously acquire some skills in working in Post Editing Software. I have been seriously involved in photography since 1975, although with all the Vicodin I have had to ingest today, it feels more like 1875. My sincere apologies for being such a screw up and will do better in the future.

Many thanks,

Tony
03-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #13
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Watch that f22 because you can cause de-fraction with it, it can cause photos to not be as sharp as you'd want them to be.

As for sizes, if you use Flickr for your posting you can chose which size to post here and it's not restricted like the forum software is. That's why I use Flickr.
03-24-2019, 08:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I believe this has been a difficult lesson for me as I can now see the error of my ways. When I initially posted in the Critique Section I was looking for comments on Color, Exposure and Sharpness. Again, this was my first attempt to seriously acquire some skills in working in Post Editing Software. I have been seriously involved in photography since 1975, although with all the Vicodin I have had to ingest today, it feels more like 1875. My sincere apologies for being such a screw up and will do better in the future.
A few things:

1) Good for you for diving into post-processing

2) You have nothing to apologize for.

3) I hope you're feeling ok!

Watch that f22 because you can cause de-fraction with it, it can cause photos to not be as sharp as you'd want them to be.
That would be "diffraction", but Tony's photo data shows f5.6, so I think you may have posted in the wrong thread?.
03-24-2019, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
A few things:

1) Good for you for diving into post-processing

2) You have nothing to apologize for.

3) I hope you're feeling ok!

That would be "diffraction", but Tony's photo data shows f5.6, so I think you may have posted in the wrong thread?.
I was referring to what Photobill said. Not what Tony did. Yes, diffraction is what I meant, I just had a brain freeze and couldn't remember how to spell it.

And I agree, Tony, you have nothing to apologize for.